3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MicroSoft Security Update (XP Home)

I just received an E mail which initially looked valid, allegedly from Microsoft. It has several spelling errors however and is probably a sham. It speaks of W32Swen@mm, and speaks of a January 2004 cumulative patch. I (stupidly) clicked the Go to Download Page, and, of course, there wasn't one. (I'm under the default security setting). Well, have I infected myself, and if so, what to do (I'm running Norton Antivirus, and it's up to date). (The properties of the supposed URL was "outbind://25/#"

Thanks

keith

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: MicroSoft Security Update (XP Home)

Keith, You can have NAV run a full scan manually. That should let you know if you are infected. In the future remember that Microsoft NEVER e-mails fixes. It is up to your system to connect to the MS update service and download patches.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Keith--

You have to run a virus scan to find out, but if you didn't run it or click on an attachment or open the download yet, but instead a hyperlink that says download, you may not be infected. You can also scan every download you get in seconds, including known sources.

SMBP

How to Tell If a Microsoft Security-Related Message Is Genuine
    What You Should Know About Swen

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you gentlemen. I doubt I'm infected, though am running a full scan as we speak. (I did not, and never do, run attachments (but was afraid of this false "Download here" button). But I've now run into another problem: I've tried to update my Office 2000 (and Word 2002---both legal, there's a good reason for the discrepancy), and it makes me accept the end-user license agreement. but there's no-where to accept it and it won't let me go further???/ How to proceed? (I'll be away a day)

keith

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Keith--that's at the very bottom of that box to install usually, and when I've seen that happen on a machine it is usually because they have extra thickness to their taskbar for some configuration reason or screen resolution. Can you drag down your taskbar out of the way to temporarily check the box?

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks: While not exactly that, your encouragement got me playing around with it more. The notice appears in a box which doesn't have a maximize icon on it, (only an "x"), so, in my hurry, I assumed it was fixed in size. All I had to do when I took a little more time was to grab the lower right corner and pull diagonally--man, did I have a "stupid" day!!

keith