Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Link to Word (Access 97, W98)

How do I set up a control that will open a certain Word document and when exiting Word will return to the Access 97 application?

Right now I have it woking, but when it returns the Access App is minimized whereas I would like it to return with the App open (i.e. return from whence I left).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Link to Word (Access 97, W98)

How are you initiating the Word session - with a Shell command, or with Automation?
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I don't under stand the difference between shell command and automation, but here is the event procedure I put in the control:

Private Sub .... etc.

Application.FollowHyperlink "filespec for the file I want Word to open"

End Sub

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Shell command simply launches the application, automation uses code to open an instance of the application and do things in it. In your case, using the hyperlink is most similar to using the Shell command, since following the hyperlink to the document is what causes Word to load. That being the case, you really have no control over Word's behavior from Access.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have no problem with Word's behavior. It's just that when I close Word I would like Access to be restored. As it is right now when I close Word I get my desktop back with the Access application minimized down on the task bar.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The point is that you aren't controlling it from Access, so you don't have a way to force the focus back to Access.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have similar code in an Access 2002 application, and it returns with Access restored. The only difference is that the code looks like this:

Application.FollowHyperlink Me.[FieldName].Text

In this case the filespec for the Word document is stored in the current record in "FieldName".

Do you think if I put my filespec into a table and referenced it as above that it would then work the same?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have no idea, Chuck. Access 97 was based on VB5 and Access 200x are all based on VB6, so there are significant differences in behavior. Can you even run 2002 on Win98?
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I was running Access 2002 on W98 before I upgraded to XP. However, the application that works properly I developed on XP and I have run it on both XP and W2000, but not W98 -- It was compiled to run under Access 2000 format. I hope that's not all too confusing.

It could well be that the VB versions make the difference between 97 and 2000/2002.

I've just loaded Office 2003 Pro on my new XP machine, and I hope I'll be able to develop apps that will still run under older versions of Access. I really haven't had time lately to pursue Access 2003.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Um, Wendell?
    <hr>I also am running Office XP on Win98 on my laptop<hr>
    <hr>Finally, I believe Office XP will only run on Win2K or WinXP<hr>
    Did you by any chance mean Office 2003 in the second case?
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,

Thanks for the advice. I'm updating both of our two computers to XP -- one with Office 2003 apps and the other using Office 2000 with Access 2002. I assume that Acess 2003 within Office 2003 is pretty much the same as Access 2002. I have to use the different versions as I have separate licences. I do develope apps for people running Access 97, so I'll have to be careful as to what features I use in order to maintain compatibility.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yup - it must have been the Washington jet lag, or fuzzy thinking, or the small keyboard on my laptop, or . . .
    I've edited the post to correct that.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>I assume that Acess 2003 within Office 2003 is pretty much the same as Access 2002.<hr>
    That's pretty much the case. Only if you work with XML extensively will you see any major feature differences. The rest of the changes are mostly frills and new tools like the cross-reference / dependency viewer.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by WendellB on 25-Jan-04 09:07. Correct statemennt about Office 2003)</P>I also am running Office XP on Win98 on my laptop (which I am using while traveling), and it seems to work fine most of the time. I am a bit cramped memory wise, so yesterday when I was working on a 50K row Excel worksheet, things got a bit squirley and it finally hung, but I've managed all week.

As to developing in 2003, you can work in either the 2000 or 2002 format - 2003 format is the same as 2002 - but you can't work in 97. You can however convert an application from 2000/2002 format to 97 format. The only trick is to not use any of the 2000/2002/2003 features that don't exist (or work differently) in 97.

Finally, I believe Office XP will only run on Win2K or WinXP. <font color=blue><font face="Georgia">As Charlotte points out, this should say Office 2003 will only run on Win2K or WinXP.</font face=georgia></font color=blue>
    Wendell