New Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Partitioning & My Documents

Greetings to All.
    1)On 2 different computers, I use Win2k and WinXP. The HDD is 40 GB in both cases.
    2) I believe that Data (meaning the docs, spreadsheets, pictures etc) should be placed in Folders which live in a separate partition for ease of backup, let us say Drive D.
    3)The Operating System should have its own partition, and miscellaneous files and programs should not be there, so that the OS can work, with plenty of space, without contending with fragmented miscellaneous files.Let us say it is Drive C, with the Virtual Memory/swapfile/pagefile in another Drive. If My Documents were in Drive C, that partition would keep on filling up.
    4) Under this disk organisation, the My Documents folder would naturally be placed by the OS in Drive C, which would defeat paras 2 & 3.
    5) WinXP does have a facility for shifting My Documents to another Drive, say Drive D, but when you boot, and press start, it shows another My Documents Folder in Drive C, placed above My Computer, which can cause confusion, especially for not-too-proficient users of the XP computer.
    6) I do not think this shift can be done in Win2k - on that machine, I simply ignore My Documents, and save data files in Folders arranged application-wise on Drive D, eg Excel, Winword etc. Of course, those applications have been set up to SAVE files in those folders.
    7) But the ease with which you can get to My Documents has attractions!
    8) So can I setup both computers to hold the My Documents folder in Drive D, and to show only one version of it?

I would appreciate views on this.
    ATB, Thiri

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Disk Partitioning & My Documents

In theory, the "My Documents" at the top of Windows Explorer is a LINK to the "My Documents" folder for the user logged in. Normally it is in the "Document and Settings/user/ My Documents..........
    But if it is set by using a trick and the files move to the NEW "My Documents" folder it should also be just a link.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The easiest way to do this is to use TweakUI. First set up a folder in, say, D:. Then open TweakUI and click on the My Computer tab, and under Special Folders, select My Documents and browse to your new folder. TweakUI will change My Documents (the link, as Dave says) to your new folder. You can search the net for TweakUI if you don't have it already, there are versions for XP and 2000.

(sad day for kip: Bob Keeshan died today. Capt. Kangaroo raised me)

good luck,

kip

Thanks

Thiri,

I don't know about Win2000, but the easiest way to accomplish what you want to do under WinXP is to move the entire "Documents and Settings" folder structure to the D drive or partition. This way, all folders for all users are placed on D automatically by the OS; no need to move individual folders. The downside to all this though, is that I only know how to do it at OS install time. See <post#=319616>post 319616</post#> for detailed description.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think Kip's idea of TweakUI is probably far easier to use than muckin' around with the OS itself. But I happen to be from another school of thought. I can't think of too many applications that don't have somewhere in their configuration structure a Preference setting or some such that will let YOU choose the folder (directory) for storing data. That's what I've done forever and a day. I tell each Office program, Quicken, WordPerfect, and so on, to use a default directory on my D: drive. In my case, I setup something called DATA (surprise!) and that folder has subs under it for whatever apps I use. Requires only one-time setup in the application and NO futzing around with the OS. Then, all I have to do is tell my nightly backup program to copy THAT directory to a backup drive.

Thanks

To each his own, Doc. You call it muckin' around with the OS, I call it installing Windows your way.

While all the suggestions outlined here will work (albeit in a limited way), the benefit of installing the "Documents and Settings" folder in a location other than the C drive will then apply to all current and future users. Instead of using TweakUI to individually move user data (potentially 16 folders times x users) to a different location, the OS will do it without user intervention. Instead of having to play around with the preferences of multiple applications such as Office to store data in a different location, the OS will do it automatically. Do you really want ALL users on your system to store their Office documents in your DATA folder? (Let 'em use their own folder!)

You want to back up ALL users' data, settings, preferences, application data, cookies, desktop, favorites, recent documents, documents, photos, music, local settings, userdata, start menu, templates etc, etc, etc? Simply backup "Documents and Settings" and it's done. Have to re-install the OS for any reason? ALL user's data and settings still exists on the other partition/disk. Simply reinstall the OS on C: (and your applications) and you're back in business. This technique has saved my bacon a few times.

BTW, congratulations on your appointment as Moderator!

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Super Moderator
    Thanks

PaulB,
    Will this process work with "OEM Restore CDs"?

Also how is one going to do this on a new machine which has the OS already installed?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Dave,

I guess it depends on the OEM restore CD. If it gives you access to the i386 folder (or it may be on a hidden partition on your disk) and provides you with the Tools folder, I think you can probably do it.

I only know how to do this at Windows install time. I have not come across a way to do this after the fact. Maybe someone out there does. Anyone?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB