New Lounger
    Thanks

show slide show in form? (access 2000)

I need to show a slide show or animated gif on a form. Images need to change. I have not been able to insert an animated gif on a form & show the animation. Can anyone help?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: show slide show in form? (access 2000)

Take a look at [post#251020] and the thread that resulted from it. The short answer is you that gif files won't animate in Access - however the thread shows a workaround and some comments about the desirability of doing what you propose.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell - Thanks again. I've built a Power Point slide show and inserted it into the switchboard. My only problem with that is that it needs to be double-clicked to activate. I haven't been able to have it start "on enter" of the page. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I'm not sure I understand how you embedded the PPT slide show on the Switchboard - I assume you mean the one you can build with the wizard, but assuming it is embedded as a control on the Switchboard form, you should be able to set the Switchboard form to open when the database is started. Then all you need to do is set focus to that control when the form is opened - from recall I believe there is already code on the Open event of the Switchboard, so it would involve modifying it, and then sending an ENTER keystroke, which should have the same effect as a double-click. If you've done the PPT show in some other fashion, post back and we'll give you a hand with it.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Insert - Object - From File. It works same as creation in Access. The PPT slide show just does'nt start until double clicked. I basically understand the rest of what you said. I just don't know (remember) how. Any chance of step by step. Thanks for all your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What experience do you have with VBA? Some knowledge in that area is pretty much necessary. Try the following: Click on the PPT application control that you Inserted just once. Then press the ENTER key on the keyboard and see if that doesn't start the PPT show. I'll be surprised if it doesn't. If it does, then on the Open event for the Switchboard, you need to add the following code:<font color=blue><font face="Georgia">
    Me!PPTObjectName.SetFocus
    SendKeys {ENTER}</font face=georgia></font color=blue>
    That should start the PPT show just as if you had done the manual steps. How you get out of it is another story however - I presume you have that figured out.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have no experience w/VBA, but a friend is helping me. He thinks he can get it. The ENTER key did not activate the PPT show. Thanks for all.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In that case you may have to resort to Automation to get PPT going. But if that's the case, I think as soon as the user clicks on something other than the embedded object, the animation (and the slide show) will stop - I haven't verified that, so it's really just a hunch. If you want to know more about automation, check the Automation Tutorial on our website.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Not clear on what you're using to do this. When I need to run PowerPoint from Access I either use VBA Shell or Windows Shell Execute functions, or Automation if exporting data to the PPT presentation. If using an Unbound Object Frame control, you can activate the PPT presentation using the control's Verb and Action properties. Example:

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Dim n As Integer
    DoCmd.Restore

' Test only:
    On Error GoTo 0
    For n = 0 To Me.OLEUnbound1.ObjectVerbsCount - 1
    Debug.Print n & " " & Me.OLEUnbound1.ObjectVerbs(n)
    Next n

' Show object:
    Me.OLEUnbound1.Verb = 0
    ' Edit object:
    ' Me.OLEUnbound1.Verb = 2
    ' Open object:
    ' Me.OLEUnbound1.Verb = 3
    Me.OLEUnbound1.Action = acOLEActivate

End Sub

Note the different "Verbs" (actions) available depend on what type of object is embedded/linked on form. As noted in Help, "You can use the ObjectVerbs property in Visual Basic to determine the list of verbs an OLE object supports." The property returns an array of verbs; the For... Next loop is used to print these out (it can be commented out after testing). For an embedded PPT object, the following list was generated:

0 S&how
    1 S&how
    2 &Edit
    3 &Open

As shown in example, when setting Verb property you need to use numerical index, not the text string. For a .PPT file, use 0 to open in Slide Show view. If you use 2 or 3, .PPT file will open in Normal view (Edit mode). The Action property is used to activate object once Verb is specified. The Verb property specifies the operation to perform when the OLE object is activated. For more details, look up these properties in VBA Help; the Help file for Action property has a complete list of which constants can be used when specifying this property (acOLEActivate should be self-explanatory).

HTH