New Lounger
    Thanks

ps2 mouse & keyboard

This is probably so simple to most of you, but I'm stymied. I have a pentium 3 600 mhz Dell that I've retired for my brand new Dell. All I want to do is get it usable so I can donate it to a local animal shelter. It gave me no problems ever until I tried to use my old ps2 keyboard and microsoft mouse on it. Neither are operational once I get into Windows XP Home, which is installed on it. At boot I have lights and the BIOS is detecting the keyboard. I have even reformatted the darn thing and installed XP fresh. I had a keyboard during the installation of XP, and was able to type in all the necessary stuff. The mouse was not responsive, however. Once Windows XP was totally installed and rebooted, I lost the keyboard also. The only keyboard/mouse I can use are my iTouch keyboard and iFeel Mouseman from Logitech that are both USB. When I look at Device Manager, I have the PS2 mouse and keyboard installed and "working properly". I've uninstalled them one at a time, both at the same time, I've even switched the keyboard and mouse and rebooted. Nothing is working and I'm tearing my hair out. It has to be a software problem and not a hardware one, as I've also tried to use the ps2 mouse that came with my new system with no better results. I even tried to take it back to Windows 98, but I no longer have the 98 serial no. (I hate it when I clean stuff out).

Can anyone think of anything else to try? I know I could tell the shelter they need to get a USB mouse and keyboard, but by now I'm so frustrated I really want to figure out how to fix the darn thing.

Thanks

Re: ps2 mouse & keyboard

Go into the BIOS on boot up and make sure that your Serial ports are enabled. Both PS2 devices require a Serial port to operate.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!