New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I access on internet (access 2000)

How do I enable access to a access database over the internet? I need to allow customers to access my pricing module over the internet.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: How do I access on internet (access 2000)

It isn't a trivial exercise - in point of fact it will probably be downright painful. There are two options I would pursue. The first is the use of Data Access Pages (DAPs) which you can create in Access - however Access 2000 isn't terribly good at that (2002 and 2003 improve the process). The downside is that the customer must be using Internet Explorer, and must have some part of Office installed. The other option is to use ASP and VB Scripts, which involves a substantial learning curve, and has rather limited functionallity compared to Access. You might want to consider deploying the pricing module to the customer workstation as a VB application, or as an Access run-time application.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell - Thanks for the response. You're right, it does sound painful. I'm stuck w/Access 2000. Customer would use IE and have Office installed. I'm exploring Windows Remote Desktop as an option or some sort of remote connection software like PC Anywhere or something. Any comments?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Remote desktop would be a good alternative, though your customer would have to install the client software. It also has the ability to support multiple clients simultaneously, where PC Anywhere is pretty much a single connection at a time facility. We actually run Windows 2003 Terminal Server on one of our systems, and have found it to be a good, solid product.
    Wendell