2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tasty Indian Side Dish

I'm sure we all have cook books that we only use for one or two recipes - and even then it's to confirm amounts, timings and temperatures rather than review the method or ingredients. They always fall open at the well-used page and there's usually the odd splash or streak on the page from whatever it is you're cooking. I have several of these and I'm looking to trim down my kitchen bookshelf - we started having to stack books and magazines horizontally on top of the vertical ones a long time ago and if you want a particular book there's every likliehood of being buried under a pile as they all come down at once.

(I did have thoughts of writing a recipe database in Access. I have many ideas but there's never enough time. One day...)

Anyway, I started transcribing my favourites and we made one of them last night - a modest little Indian side dish that tasted just wonderful. It accompanied a low-fat Chicken tandoori and was very successful. Here it is if anyone cares to try it...

Dam Aloo (dry potato curry)
    Serves 4

[i]1 lb small potatoes, preferably new
    1 medium onion, peeled
    4 tablespoons oil
    1 teaspoon, chilli powder
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tasty Indian Side Dish

Steve -

I have exactly the same problem - I have three shelves of cookbooks, some of which I use a lot and some of which I only pick up once in a while. In addition to that, I at one time had stacks of 10 years of Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazines. I finally broke down and bought a cookbook program for the computer, then spent a good bit of time keying those one or two recipes from each book/magazine into the program. I have since tossed all the magazines, although I have kept the cookbooks. The program I use is called MasterCook, although I suppose there are lots of programs available. What I like about this particular program is that is includes nutritional information for recipes. It comes with a selection of recipes and you can also enter your own. It has certainly helped me reduce the clutter in my house and in my brain as I have tried to remember just which cookbook that one recipe I want can be found in.

Lee Morgan

New Lounger
    Thanks

Steve: Looks great - I love indian food. Question for you: My guess is that you don't have a tandoori oven. If that's true, how do you make tandoori chicken w/out one?

Thks!

Tegan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,

Thanks for this recipe. I've made Dum Aloo for years, but it always takes a long time because I never have boiled the potatoes. I love time saving options.

What I call my homemade tandoori chicken is chicken marinated in yogurt and tandoori spices. I usually grill on coals outside, even in winter. You can do in the oven. It's best if you make the chicken pieces relatively small and even sized and put in a very, very hot oven for a short cooking time. I like Rajah brand tandoori powder, but others are fine too. You can always make your own, too.