3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

archived email (OE 6.00.2800.1123)

I have been trying to read some old email archived as .dbx files.
    I created a folder in OE with the same archived folder's name, copied the .dbx file into the OE store folder, but the mail does not show up in the OE folder.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: archived email (OE 6.00.2800.1123)

Dianne--

There may be another simple straightforward solution. It sounds like you did the first part of this. Try opening OE and creating a new folder and call it whatever "Dianne's Archived." Possibly you can use the folder you made. Create a dummy message in that folder. See the second suggestion from Margaret this thread.

It sounds like the .dbx folder where the mail was archived originally is damaged but still reachable. You may have to use something like DBXpress Version 1.30 Updated 1/6/04 Containing DBXtract. DBXpress is twice as fast as DBXtract from Tomsterdam which is free, and also costs $25. DBXtract is below. You also may get help from Express Archiver linked below.

Messages in Inbox or other mail folders disappear
    DBXTract Free from Tomsterdam
    Express Archiver FAQ

Also, I don't know how you have that Maintainance Tab (Tools>Options>Maintaince tab) set, but the more I see, the more I'm convinced that a high percentage of OE errors and problems or all kinds, particularly the frequent mail recovery problems come from damaged .dbx folders due to compaction in the background. All the OE MVPs on news groups recommend strongly not to do that, but to compact offline. You may be able to fix that damaged folder by compacting off line as in this suggestion from Tom Koch even though you're not getting any particular numbered error:

Damaged Folders.dbx errors
    Compact Your OE Folders

See Post 332501 Compacting in OE

I also wonder if you can search for the archived *.eml folder as is suggested here:

Archiving Tips Tomsterdam

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by unkamunka to make the link "live" - see Help #19 - 16:40 UTC 26-Jan-04

Thanks, SMBP- great resources. Will explore them all, as I have years of archived emails on CD, and from time to time need to go fishing for one of them.
    I managed to resolve the problem by copying the .dbx file to the hard drive, and after a number of false starts trying different methods, very easily imported the file into OE.
    I used the following advice from PCWorks:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/pcworks@imagic...m/msg08195.html (apologies, next thing is to learn how to create links in posts!)

Copy the ".dbx" files from your CD backup to your hard drive somewhere easy to find. Highlight them and right click, choosing Properties. If you're on the "General" tab, uncheck the "Read only" checkbox. (These steps may be unnecessary). Open Outlook Express. Click File, Import,
    Messages. Choose Microsoft Outlook Express 5, click Next. On the Specify Location windows, choose Import mail from an OE5 store directory,
    click OK. Browse to where the ".dbx" files are located, click Next.
    Choose All Folders, or highlight the ones you want, and click Next or OK.
    You folders should be restored.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dianne--

Thanks--glad you fixed it. I really appreciate the followup. I will store this away and read over it later. Thanks for the links.

SMBP