5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Connection Icon in Systray

How do you get a connection icon in the systray when using DSL broadband. This is a dual boot system with WIN 98 and WIN XP. I had no problem getting a connection icon for WIN XP but can not find how to do it in WIN 98.

Thanks

Re: Connection Icon in Systray

From what I can find out, this 'option' is only available for DUN in W98, not for networking.

However, LanLight may give you what you want, but I have no personal experience of it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Under Dial-up Networking, select your connection & on the Connections menu, choose Settings... You should get a dialog box similar to the one shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

This is a DSL Broadband connection that we are working with. I don't believe the DUN is going to help. Thanks though.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I do have DSL. However, I don't have cable, so maybe that's the difference. I know that with Earthlink DSL, this dialog exists. I thought it depended on the software, but I'm not sure.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have an SBC DSL with a PCI attached DSL modem. As far as DUN is concerned, there is no modem attached to my computer, so when going to control panel/modems, a double click initiates a search for a modem. Can only guess that XP handles virtual com ports differently, thus an icon in XP and not in 98.

The software comes with a "Connection Manager", which I kill after the connection is made, because of the resource hog that it is. Even after that, the connection icon is still there. It also has some software called Enter Net 300, which I presume is what actually makes the connection and keeps the connection alive. The Enter Net 300 does have some connection settings, but I could not find any which either allow or disallow a system tray icon.