2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Music files on CD-RW

Hello, I've been trying to copy music files from a CD onto a CD-RW using Media Player. When I want to listen to it on my stereo the CD is not recognized. When I copy the files onto a CD-R (not -RW) my stereo DOES recognize it. Am I missing something or is this normal? Also, the size of the CD says 650 MB but selecting the songs the size is below 100 MB, yet it won't let me put more on it. I've tried to change the track names, but once I click on the CD Icon in the Win Explorer it only shows: "Track001" and so on and not the names I typed. How come? Can anyone help me please? Thank you very much. Tira

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Music files on CD-RW

1/ CD-R & CD-RW - Many stereos/Hi-fis/Walkmans etc are unable to play CD-RW format. Quite a few can not play CD-R format.

2/ Once you have copied the tracks onto the CD you can not add any more tracks even if there is space left. They must all be copied at the same time.

3/ For audio CD's tracks are named Track001 etc. It is the standard convention for that format.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tira,

To follow on from Tony's post, when recording a music CD you have to think of the time the tracks occupy on the disc rather than the file size. E.g. an MP3 file may take up, say, 4MB*, whereas the same track in WAV format would be much higher, yet they are both the same track length on the CD.

I'm also annoyed that my car stereo won't accept CD-RW, but then my TV/DVD won't even read CD-R!!

Thanks

One other point about CD-RW, I am fairly certain you will need to make sure the CD is 'finalised' before it can be read in a normal CD player. This means that you will not be able to re-write or add to it - you may as well use the cheaper CD-R in the first place.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. I was aware that I might not be able to play a CD on a CD player, someone actually told me to make sure to get music CD's for music rather than regular once, but I didn't think that there would be a difference between CD-R and CD-RW as of whether or not it can be read by a stereo or any other portable device. Makes sense about the size/time on the CD. Leif, you mentioned that I'd have to "finalize" the CD. How would I do that? Is there a command for that? Thank you again, very much, for all your help, Tira

Thanks

I have an idea that WMP may not give you an option but finalises automatically. Whenever I have used it for recording (onto CD-R's) the last thing you see it do is state "Closing CD" (or similar) against the the current operation status of the last track.
    (Perhaps 'closing' is a better and more common term than 'finalising'.....)