New Lounger
    Thanks

Repair IE6 Failure (SP-1)

My back button stops working after several surfs. At that point everything stops working; can't go forward either. I have to exit IE 6 to get it to clear and then It repeats after several surfs again. I also noticed that Windows Media Player 9 stops working in a similar fashion. The player works fine independantly of IE but click on a video link and presto, media player pops up but does not connect and stops working completely. I have tried all the IE 6 reinstall advice at the MSKB with zero improvement. Anyone have any advice?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Repair IE6 Failure (SP-1)

Terry--

First run System File Checker Post 317087. If you expand that thread it deals with IE repair.

Also you might find these posts helpful in Repairing or Reinstalling IE:

Post 330435 and Post 317376.

System File Checker checks your files, dlls, ect. for corruption and then goes to the Dllcache folder on your hard drive or your CD-Rom to replace them with intact files. Have your CD-Rom handy, and you may have to hit "retry" many times to get it done if a dialogue box pops up. You can check to see if it ran successfully by going to Start>Run>Eventvwr.msc>System>Windows File Protection at the time you ran it.

As to WMP9, I find in a high percent of times that simply going to the site and redownloading it often works wonders for repair but I'd take IE repair steps first.

hth,

SMBP

Thanks

Re: Repair IE6 Failure (SP-1)

Does this happen at particular sites? The reason I ask is that when a site pops up a new window, it usually has no history, and therefore you cannot go back. This is normal, and you usually will realize that it is a new window. However, it also is possible to use code to play with the history, to some extent, and if you are visiting sites that are a bit tricky with code, perhaps you are getting "trapped." That is very annoying. If you post a link to a problem site we can check it out.

Of course, it also could be that your file cache is so large that IE is choking, or a history file has become corrupted. I'm not sure anyone has posted fixes for corrupted history (IE board, most likely), but you probably know you can clear your file cache under Tools>Internet Options...>Delete Files..., should you want to try that. (This might remove cookies with saved passwords, but frankly, I can't remember!!)