New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 97 Pro (97 Pro SR-2)

Due to needing to change computers multiple times, have had to install Office 97 Pro Many times. When I installed it on WinXP computer did not install word. What is the method to work around this or should I just open the piggy bank and purchase a neweer version of Office? If purchasing newer version is it still recommended not to purchase Officie XP yet? Which version would you recommend. Primarily only use word,exel,and powerpoint.
    Regards,Boots

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 97 Pro (97 Pro SR-2)

Office 97 is compatible with WinXP and there's no reason that I know of that Word shouldn't install if that's all you want to do. Is your CD defective (scratched, etc)?

If you are looking to upgrade, I really like Office 2003! But if you are happy with 97 I (and many others) have used it quite successfully with WinXP. I suggest you try again, and/or post a little more info on what is going on when you try to install Word.

good luck,

kip

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There's nothing wrong with Office XP, but if you want that, you'd better hurry while it can still be purchased. If you meant for the technology guarantee, I believe that window has already passed.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the input. After several reinstallations of Office97 with same settings ,the process ends with "office has been installed sucessfully", Word is not accessable. I Uninstalled Office97 through control panel,add/remove. Then did complete installation "typical"(recommended) entered CD Key info, click on Word shortcut icon or Double click on Word.exe get following; ERROR The wrong wwintl32.dll has been loaded. Make sure that word directory is in the path.
    As an added clue, When opening and closing Excel, receive following message; "MS VIS Basic Compile Error in Hidden Module: TBRun 97, click OK and excel opens. Clicking on .xls file opens Excel with Visual Basic Error window "Compile error in hidden module: TBRun97", to open the data file have to click open and find the file process. I hope this helps you in your efforts to assist me, if not please advise.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. Removing Office 97 through the Add/Remove Programs control panel doesn't remove all traces of the installation. See OFF97: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97 on Windows XP, Windows Me, and Windows 2000. This MSKB article contains a link to download an "eraser" utility.

2. For the Hidden Module error, see XL: Compile Error in Hidden Module Tbrun97.xls.

Good luck!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The error messages that you are reporting are those which normally arise when you have a number of other apps installed - prior to Office 97. Is that the case?
    Grüße

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all. Via Norton Clean Sweep and then manually deleating any stragler files etc from office 97, word 2000SR1 and works6.0, I was then able to run a CLEAN INSTALL of Office 97Pro. Initial trials of Excel & word have performed satisfactorily. Thank you all again for your guidance and advice.
    Boots13