2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing pages with AutoShapes (Word 2000)

Is there a way to print only the pages of a document that contain at least one AutoShape? How do you even search to an AutoShape?

Thanks

Re: Printing pages with AutoShapes (Word 2000)

There's a special code to search for graphics (^g) but it doesn't seem to notice AutoShape objects.

You can get a Shape's anchor's page number, which might be just as good as the Shape's page number. Here's an example that just drops a list in the Immediate window:

Sub ShapeListPageNumbers()
    Dim aShape As Shape
    For Each aShape In ActiveDocument.Shapes
    Debug.Print aShape.Name, aShape.Anchor.Information(wdActiveEndPageNumber)
    Next
    If Not (aShape Is Nothing) Then Set aShape = Nothing
    End Sub

But it's not limited to AutoShapes per se and will include, for example, bitmaps in the drawing layer. You could interrogate the Shape's properties, but that is a bit beyond my knowledge. Hope this helps.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To restrict this code to Autoshapes, you could add the lines
    <font face="Georgia">
    If aShape.Type = msoAutoShape Then
    End If
    </font face=georgia>

At the appropriate places.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks to jscher2000 and Stuart for the code! I finally had a chance to give it a good test, and this is indeed what I was looking for. To restrict the code to AutoShapes (at least the ones in my particular documents), I needed to change Stuart's code to:
    If aShape.Type = msoFreeform Then
    End If

I'm going to use this code in a macro to print only the pages with AutoShapes. If I have problems (or success!), I'll let you know! Thank you very much for your help.

- Linda

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm struggling a bit with trying to write a macro to print out only the pages with AutoShapes. Two questions:

First, the code

aShape.Anchor.Information(wdActiveEndPageNumber)

returns what I call the "relative" page number of the document. That's the page number counting consecutively from the top of the document, not accounting for sections or page numbers that you set. (This is the page number that shows in the status bar next to the total number of pages, such as 8/22.) Can I actually use these "relative" page numbers in the PrintOut method or whatever method I can use to print?

Second, I am using the following code to print:

ActiveDocument.PrintOut Pages:=strPagesToPrint

In my test, strPagesToPrint is equal to "10, 5, 7, 8, 9" (these are "relative" page numbers). Unfortunately, running this code causes the entire document to print!

Can someone rescue me (again)? Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The syntax you need is
    <font face="Georgia">ActiveDocument.PrintOut Pages:=strPagesToPrint, Range:=wdPrintRangeOfPages</font face=georgia>

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Stuart! Yes, that worked to print just the pages I requested. However, I still have one (major) problem left. The pages the macro prints are not the ones with AutoShapes because I'm feeding the PrintOut method the "relative" page numbers returned by aShape.Anchor.Information(wdActiveEndPageNumber), and the PrintOut method is apparently using the page numbers set in the document. That is, the relative page 7/22 containing an AutoShape is set as page 3, and feeding 7 to the PrintOut method prints page 11/22, which has a value of 7. Any ideas on how to reconcile the two?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Instead of wdActiveEndPageNumber, you should be using wdActiveEndSectionNumber and wdActiveEndAdjustedPageNumber to build a string that looks like "S1P3, S1P5, S2P4" etc.

Have a look at the help for Selection.Information or use the browser to look at the possible values for wdInformation

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Stuart! It worked, and I think I can actually finish this macro now. My sincere thanks!

- Linda