4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error Message (2000)

Hi,
    When I open the one Project file that I've been using for a while I get the following message. "Cannot find the file xxxxx (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available".
    This file is linked to a resource pool that is shared by several other project files.
    Thanks,
    Deb

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Message (2000)

Is the file xxxxx the project file name? (you don't say).
    Does this file still exist where you think it should be? has it been moved deleted by someone or accidently?

Thanks

Typically when this happens, the file has been moved or renamed OR your access to the folder where the file resides has been removed.

You also mention that you share a common resource pool. Check to ensure that this file still exists and has not been renamed. Post back if none of these items have been changed.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. The file as far as I know hasn't been by me on my end, but who knows what the network people have done behind the scenes. I'll check. Thanks.

Deb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The xxx is the file name. As far as I know is hasn't been moved or deleted, but I don't have sole rights to the folder or file. Everything looks good now. Let's say that it did get moved and put back. Can it be fixed? The error message gives an OK button, I click on that and it opens the file and I can work with it after that.
    Thanks,
    Deb

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well ... sounds like it's working now ... could be that since it was a shared file/folder, it either was missing at the time, or in use by someone else. A mystery. As long as the file exists, and is not opend by someone else, you can open it in Project.

Maybe you want to review who all has access to this folder, especially if they have write/delete access and in fact they don't need it. You'll want to avoid accidents.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it's really not working, I'm still getting the error message, but the file does open. My concern is I've been getting this error for a while now on a couple files and I just had one file last week that wouldn't open at all so I'm afraid that might happen to all the other files. Is there anyway to get rid of the error message?

Thanks,
    Deb

New Lounger
    Thanks

It is a system/network/server issue. Discuss with the people who run these thigns.

Consider copying this file to your local hard disk and work on from there. If needed to be put on network file server then just put a copy out there.

The error message appears because something is not right. The way to remove the error message is to fix the root cause. I am pretty sure the root-cause has nothing to do with Project.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do you know how to get rid of error message if the file was moved and put back?
    Thanks,
    Deb

Thanks

Deb,

If the file was put back with exactly the same name then the project should open without error. Somewhere in the links of this file to others such as the resource library or perhaps, subprojects, a link has been broken. You can have project tell you all of the linked projects and then you can check to see if they still exist.

Also check the other files to ensure that the file is not locked and you cant change it. (Protection). Also make sure that the other project / resource library is not "hung". If all else fails, have everyone that uses the project and linked resource library re-boot their machines to free all locked files.

Good Luck.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    I posted this message a long time ago. But I am now having the same problem again. I found out before that someone did move the folder by accident and moved it back. But this time I'm not sure what has happened. The file is on a shared network drive in a folder that about 5 people have rights too. When I open file1 I do not get an error message. When let's say, Daffy Duck, opens the file from another computer, but in my same building, same rights as me, Daffy gets the error message. The file still opens and we can work with it, but we have to email this file to others and now since the error message has shown the people can no longer open the email attachment. So this morning I created a brand new file, copied the information over, the file size was good, i was having no problems. Told Daffy to send it and when Daffy opened the file he got the error message again and the file size increased.

Any thoughts on things I can check. You had said something about check for locked files, I'm not sure how to do that.
    Thanks,
    Deb

Thanks

Check with those opening the files to see if their mapping to the drives have changed. Again, it sounds as if the files are still there but perhaps some of the mappings to those directories have changed. This would cause some links to fail on some people and not others where the mappings were still correct.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)