New Lounger
    Thanks

windows (xp professional)

I have for the last 3 days been trying to figure out how to get my windows update page to come on. All I get is 404 error page not found. It used to work. I have read a zillion microsoft pages and have deleted all of the hotfixes etc from my computer still get 404 error .
    What is wrong and how can I get to windows update again???
    Please help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: windows (xp professional)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 27-Jan-04 07:05. To make a link clickable. Please see my next post.)</P>Enter URLs as Trusted Sites

1) Make sure you have http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com liseted as one of your trusted sites.
    2) Also enter http://www.microsoft.com as a trusted site.

In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options> Security tab>Select Trusted sites>click Default Level>Add the secure Web site you are trying to access to the Trusted sites zone. To do so, click Sites, type the address (URL) of the site in the Add this Web site to the zone box, click Add, click OK, and then click Apply .

See this reference: Increase Your Browsing and E-mail Safety

Verify that Internet Explorer is configured to use SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0:

In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu> Internet Options Advanced tab>In the Settings box, under the Security header>Click to select the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 check boxes (if they are not already selected)>then click OK .

If this doesn't do it, run SFC (System File Checker):

327087: How to Run System File Checker.

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It'll be interesting to hear what Humoon discovers. I made your first link clickable so he can see what happens if he clicks the update site directly. The reason I did this is because I use IE6 (fully patched) on occasion and I don't have any trusted sites called out, but Windows Update works OK for me in that situation. I'm wondering if maybe his WUPDMGR.EXE has gotten corrupted, in which case your second suggestion to try System File Checker might do the trick. Here's hoping.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm with you there. I haven't had any trouble ever hitting Win Update and I don't think most people do without listing it as a trusted site or taking any special IE options steps. AYK there are a lot of threads where people get different numbered errors when they try to reach it mentioned on the Win Update Troubleshooter and given the 404 I saw a lot of suggestions to reach it like the one I posted. I know there was an issue in reaching it around the time that Blaster shut down Win Update for a day or so and they switched it to a different server.

Your mention of the possibility of his WUPDMGR.EXE possibly being corrupted is an excellent idea I forgot about and it reminded me of something. I went looking in the Lounge for a thread we had similar to this problem on reaching Win Up and reinstalling some of its files to remedy this and repair it and I found these links that might be helpful for humoon to get hooked back up to Win Update:

Post 315279: Windows Update Link on Start Menu Does Not Work--How to Reinstall the Wupdmgr.exe File

193691: WINUP: Windows Update Link on Windows 98 Start Menu Does Not Work This probably applies to reinstalling it for Windows XP as well.

Microsoft Windows Update Site Unavailable: What To Do

Kelly's A to Z: Windows Update Issues under "W"

I think you're onto something. Just reinstalling his his WUPDMGR.EXE may be the ticket here.

SMBP

Thanks

Two thoughts. First, when a virus went around that targeted a windowsupdate site, many ISPs serving home users blocked the URL by disabling DNS queries for it. I assume that's back to normal, but maybe not. Second, during that time, many folks entered an IP address for the site into their hosts file, to work around the DNS query blocking. If you entered such an address into your hosts file, it might have become obsolete. If that is the case, delete it and see what happens. (You might have to close and reopen IE to get it to re-read the hosts file.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have saved your posts for future reference. I have re installed windowsxp. I was trying to delete updates. I think for whatever that is worth that it was due to an update that caused this????? I am now able to access the page without difficulty.
    When I was deleting updates, I really took something off ZI should not have and that is why the reinstalling it.
    Thank everyone for their input and it is saved for further review if I need it later.
    Have a good day.