Star Lounger
    Thanks

Negative Number Formats (Excel 2000)

I have a spreadsheet with the number format set as #,##0_);(#,##0) to show negative numbers in brackets. When I send the spreadsheet to someone else the negative numbers show the minus sign. My regional settings for numbers is set to show brackets whereas their regional settings is set to show the minus sign. Is there any way to force the showing of brackets on the other person's system without changing their regional settings?

Graham

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Negative Number Formats (Excel 2000)

Hi Graham,

My computer is set to show negatives numbers with a minus sign (regional settings, that is). I applied the custom format "#,##0;(#,##0)" (without quotation marks) to the cell and the negative # shows with brackets and no minus sign. It made no difference when i changed my regional settings and rebooted and checked the sheet again. I think it may be an error in your custom number format, rather than a problem with regional settings. The idea of the formats is to override things like regional settings, I suspect.

HTH

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the testing Colm.

If it's nothing to do with regional settings then how do the formats work? If there was an error in the format then why does it show OK on my machine? The format was set by choosing the number category on the number tab of the format cells dialog rather than writing a custom format.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The point is, that Excel presents the user with a number of predefined number formats which depend on their local control panel settings.
    I suspect you have chosen one of those predefined ones, which very likely matches a control panel setting. Loading your sheet on another station will then make Excel use the same control panel setting to build the format you have set on yours.
    If you want to make the format stick, change it to a custom format, maybe by just adding the third and fourth argument (for zero and for text)
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spot on.

I never realised that the format presented to you in the negative number list box depended on your local settings.

Thank you
    Graham