2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exporting/Importing contact data (Outlook 2002)

I exported my contacts (using the default map) to Excel, edited some of the entries, saved and imported the new file. For some reason all of my email addresses disappeared. I had a backup pst so all I did was waste time but I've not tried this again, yet. Is this something others have experienced and if so, how do you get around it?

Thanks

Re: Exporting/Importing contact data (Outlook 2002)

You can select which fields are exported and imported - perhaps the import did not include these?
    When exporting and importing you can select to "Map Custom Fields" - chosing the default setup in both cases should export and import everything.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is the puzzling part - unless I made a mistake (memory failure) I used the default map going and coming so I would have all of the fields and data in the transfer.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Exporting/Importing contact data (Outlook 2002

It is possible that your edits somehow corrupted the file - from Outlook's point of view. I know that exporting and reimporting usually does not result in loss of Contacts.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think not. Having tried all of this again, the problem becomes apparent but I don't understand why. I used the default map for the export to Excel and the default map for the import from Excel. However, upon closer examination the export map does map all three email address fields to excel fields. However, the import map DOESN'T MAP ANY EMAIL FIELDS. I must admit, I am puzzled why this would be the case.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well I've got a new problem that I can't get to the bottom of. I have categories for my contacts. They are valid, included in the master category list, show as heading in a category view, etc. So I export to Excel and map Name to Name and Categories to Categories (or simply click on the default map). The categories column shows up in Excel but no category entries. I've not seen this problem before. Something else appears to have gone "haywire".

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) in something like: C:Program FilesCommon FilesSystemMSMAPI1033? HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have not run the repair tool but I did do some restoring from backup and regenerating the original contact list and went thru all of the same approaches as in the past and now the problem seems to be "fixed". I love computers!!