Thanks

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (WinXP SP1)

Is there any way (and if so, how?) to open two instances of Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in order to compare two graphics side-by-side?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (WinXP SP1)

Should be pretty straightforward: Open the program, select your graphic, open a second instance and a second graphic, make sure that neither instance is running in full screen mode, right click on an empty area of the taskbar, and choose Tile Windows (horizontally /vertically - your choice). Does this not work for you?

kip

Thanks

Not so straightforward, Kip. Microsoft Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is not on the Start menu, making it pretty difficult to "Open". I start it by double clicking a graphic. If I then double click another graphic, the second graphic opens in the original viewer window, replacing the original graphic. There is no menu bar in the viewer window so you can't "File/Open" as you suggest.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

It is a special creature. I thought it might be a Windows Explorer Shell Extension, but that didn't help me figure out where in the Registry I could find its command line. I suspect you might find some information up at Microsoft.com, perhaps for programmers. But I haven't gone looking.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, sorry Dave. Looks like you cain't do it, alright. Here's a suggestion for a workaround. What if you open Pic A with the Viewer, and then right click Pic B, and open it with Paint? You may have to do some resizing of the pic in Paint to make it usable, but it should work. Of course if you had any of the many photo editing programs available to you, my original suggestion would work. Like Jefferson said, the Viewer is a special animal, apparently.

kip

Thanks

That's scary, kip! Your workaround is exactly what I suggested to my brother, who originally brought up the question. I told him I could do what he wanted to do with Photoshop Elements. Turns out he has Elements too. End of problem for him, interesting, if academic, problem for me.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

At least we learned something about the somewhat enigmatic nature of Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (for whatever THAT's worth!)

kip

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now when you upgrade to Office 2003, "Office Picture Manager" will replace Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" and is a big improvement. You can even find it listed the the Start menu, under Microsoft Office, Microsoft Office Tools.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try this, open the folder with the pictures. View it as a Filmstrip then right-click the little thumnail of the same picture and choose preview from the context menu. Not the two instance of Fax viewer but you can see both pictures side by side.