Thanks

Sent File Location (IE 6.0.2800.1106IC)

Hello,

I sometimes use a copy of IE 6.0.2800.1106IC to view web pages that refuse to render cleanly in Mozilla. To my knowledge I have never completed the installation of Outlook or OutlookExpress. When I use IE 6.0, I do find that if I select an email address in a 'contact us' an OE mail compose window opens.

Where do I look for the "sent" mail file for Outlook and OutlookExpress. I want to cover all the bases and make certain that mail others claim I sent could not have originated on my computer.

I try to keep my machine clean with NAV and AdAware. If it has a virus or trojan capable of sending messages, I have not found it this morning.

Yes, I know that SPAMMERS can spoof any email address they have established is one that does not bounce messages.

Thanks,

John
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Thanks

Re: Sent File Location (IE 6.0.2800.1106IC)

John,

Have you gone to OE>tools>options>send tab and checked the box "Save copies of the sent messages in the sent items folder"?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Bob,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Perhaps you misunderstood my intent. If I attempt to invoke OE, I get an error message telling me that MSOE.DLL is not loaded. GOOD!!! That means that someone else can't hijack it. When I try to open Outlook, I get taken into an installation wizard.

Your reply did point me to a search for files/folders called 'sent items.' I found a strange file called

C:WINDOWSApplication DataIdentities...Outlook ExpressSent Items.dbx

I could not open it in Word, WordPad, etc, but with the help of the 'gather' function in ZTree, I converted it into a text file.

Mirable dictu! It contains lots of control characters and some text. Most of the text is from the past (mid January 2003) from my Netscape 4.08 inbox! It did not contain the string of the 'intended' "to:" recipient in a 'we could not deliver this message' email I received this morning.

I found fragments of two messages I might have sent. Neither contains the date when it was sent. They look like they might have been 'captured' when I filled in a webpage 'email' form. Is this possible?

In any case, it looks to me like I ought to trash this 140K file. Does anyone advise me not to?

Thanks,

John
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

John,

DON'T DELETE IT.

DBX is the file format that MS OE uses to store the contents of various OE folders like inbox, outbox, SENT ITEMS. and others. You can't open them directly with notepad, Wordpad or any of the other text converters. You have to use a dbx converter prog like DBXTRACT to read them properly. In your case here, the sent items ARE the copies of mail sent by OE that I think you are looking for.

Get a copy of the converter at : DBXTRACT

Edited to add: you will also need msvbvm60.dll on your system to run this. If you don't you can also get it at the same site.
    Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Thanks again Bob,

Clearly I'm not communicating my desire.

I DO NOT WANT TO RUN OUTLOOK EXPRESS OR OUTLOOK ON MY MACHINE. I DO NOT WANT ANYONE ELSE TO PLANT A VIRUS AND USE THESE APPLICATIONS TO SEND OUT MAIL IN MY NAME.

I went looking for the SENT file to see if someone had.

I was concerned to find that it contained text that I never sent via OUTLOOK EXPRESS because I'd never used it.

1) Does IE 6.0... somehow record messages composed on some (but not all) website 'contact us' pages? (I am not talking about messages composed in a 'traditional email composition dropdown box' but rather in a window presented by the owner of the website?

2) Since my SENT ITEMS.DBX contains ~19.5 pages of text that is part of a few days of my Netscape 4.08 Inbox, am I to conclude that there is a 'bug' in IE 6.0 and its mail programs?

3) Is OE so 'fragile' that unlike NSC or MozillaMail it cannot replace (with blanks) files like this *.dbx file if a user deletes them?

Thanks,

John
    Baumgrenze

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If outlook express has NOT been set up with an account and a ISP to send out email it can NOT do it.

What makes you think that these email are coming from your machine and not some one else who is infected and spoofing your address?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------
    I found a strange file called

C:WINDOWSApplication DataIdentities...Outlook ExpressSent Items.dbx
    ----------------------------------------------

You said you found the sent items.dbx file........................I told you what to do to look at it and read it.............What you do from there is up to you!

There's no "bug" in OE. Delete it if it makes you feel better.

-------------------------------------
    I DO NOT WANT TO RUN OUTLOOK EXPRESS OR OUTLOOK ON MY MACHINE
    -----------------------------------

Who said anything about running Outlook express on your machine?
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Try a mailto link in IE, send the mail, then search the hard drive for recently modified files. Maybe this is how you uncovered the Sent Items.dbx in the first place but, if not, it would be interesting to see what file actually is getting updated.

For what it's worth, most mass mailing worms now include their own SMTP server and don't require any particular client mail software. So, avoiding OE isn't going to help you much in the end. (Not to say you should use it, but that with appropriate antivirus software, the incremental risk is marginal at best.)

Thanks

Dave,

I'm confident that the emails are coming from some one else who is infected and spoofing my address?

I'm now concerned that somehow OE (which I never enabled) entered information into a file which is ostensibly to be used for information generated (like sent mail) when OE is used.

To me this suggests a bug in the software. Not a surprise, not the first, but are there those who track down such programming faults created in Redmond? If so, how do I let them know?

John
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

Check this key in the registry for any OE account information:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet Account ManagerAccounts e.g., 00000001

(I have version 5.5, but I suspect this is reasonably consistent across versions.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What do you have listed in the Email program box at "Tools, Internet Options" and then the Programs tab with in IE?

If you send a email from with in IE it will try to use the "Listed" email program, but if you have NOT set it up it should NOT be able to send. The email may still be sitting in the out box waiting for it to sent.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Dave,

Thanks for the 'now obvious' suggestion. When I went to 'internet options' and changed the 'email' from 'Outlook Express' to 'Mozilla Mail' it now opens the latter application when I select an email link. I see that 'Newsgroups' remains dedicated to a MS application, as does 'Internet call' but I see no big deal in that.

I'm too tired to be playing with the registry to check out jsher's suggestion that I look there.

I did copy my bookmarks into IE at one point. I no longer remember just when it was. Perhaps that is when the DBX file picked up some of my inbox?

NSC 4.08 was failing me more and more often as it could no longer meet security protocols. I gave up and used IE for browsing and NSC 4.08 for email. I'm glad I've switched to Mozilla 1.6.

Unless someone wants to pursue other reasons why the DBX file got corrupted, let's consider this thread closed. If I can find time in the next few days to do a careful check of my registry, I'll check out what jscher suggested.

Thanks again to all.

John
    Baumgrenze

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

I get it that you don't want to run OE or Outlook, but you seem to want to be able to open OE without errors. That can be done.

1) Why don't you run system file checker and see what that does to your error when you open OE?

2) There's a KB on your error and we've had threads on it: See Post 317316:MSOE.DLL error (6.x) with links to KB and Kelly's site for uninstalling and reinstalling or repairing OE. Tomsterdam's observation on an error may apply to you here: Error messages with msoe.dll Tomsterdam

3) If you installed IE6 or IEX you installed OE. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you don't think you completed the Installation of OE. When you also say you don't think you enabled OE, do you mean set up an email account because OE itself is enabled, but as Dave says to send mail you have to set up an account.

As to Outlook, that would depend on whether you have some Office version or Outlook installed. It is true that there are increasing relationships and some shared files of OE and Outlook and they are both related to IE and Windows Explorer for certain functions in Windows XP with IE included. You sure aren't going to have Outlook installed if you didn't install it by itself or as part of Office.

[/b]4)[/b] It is possible for you to repair and reinstall OE several different ways.

Repair or Reinstall OE
    318378: How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

5) You think OE is buggy and you want to let MS know. First it is free and they don't put near as much effort into supporting or developing or updating it now for an obvious reason--they sell a lot of Outlook and make a lot of money off of it. Their current position is they are going to beef up OE and make it a part of Longhorn. Time will tell. If you want to tell MS how you really feel and be heard and answered in minutes, there is a way. Post OE problems on the Microsoft OE Newsgroup through the OE newsreader or the web reader. They monitor it 24 X7 and often ID themselves.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The Original Poster has closed this thread. His concerns were having his email spoofed - NOT being able to make Outlook Express work. In view of this, I am locking this thread.
    Gre