Thread: Error 3188 (2K)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error 3188 (2K)

Alright, I

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Error 3188 (2K)

It's not clear to me why you need a second form to do your editing - you could simply unlock the controls on the continuous form that can be edited and let the editing take place at that point. But what you are doing will normally work - are your users getting an error message when changes get dropped? My suspicion would be that the code updating the user and date/time is the culprit - running that on the BeforeInsert event should only set those values when you add a new record however. I would place that code on the BeforeUpdate event on the edit form. We have seen that from time to time - most often when the back-end is an ODBC data source such as SQL Server. One other thing you might look at is the Service Release / Service Pack level that you are at. There were some things fixed in SR1A and in SP3 that dealt with record locking. That's another thing you should look at - is your database set to use Page or Record level locking (in the back-end).
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Whoops, I meant the BeforeUpdate Event (there is also BeforeInsert stuff as well for the creation user/time but I never have a problem at insert.) I removed the code from the BeforeUpdate Event and I still have the same problem.

I open it into another form because it is easier to enforce and modify data check items from a separate form. Also, it is for the interest of consistency, since sometimes (not in this case) there is additional dependent/child information. In this instance the users are entering case notes relating to the client, so it is useful to have the continuous form where the worker can scroll through many case notes, but to have a nice large window for entering/editing the notes.

the backend is using record -level locking. and I'm on SP3.

There was no error message for the users when the changes were dropped. The error message comes from the SaveRecord command.

-karl

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know of any issues with record changes being dropped without some error message about locking problems - what locking option do you have set? We typically use no locks when we work with ODBC connected tables. Is it possible that something has turned off error trapping with an <font color=blue>On Error Resume Next</font color=blue> statement somewhere in your VBA code?
    Wendell