Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Converting 97 to 2002 (Access 2002)

I'm in the process of converting a large application from Access 97 to 2002. Although parts of the application run, I get the following error message.

Your ... database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the DAO2535.TLV version 3.5.

I followed the suggested procedure to open a new module and then go to tools | references and add the reference. However, the list of references shows DAO2.5/3.5 as MISSING.

Thus, I have two questions:

1. How do I get the missing reference added, OR preferably

2. What do I change so that I no longer need this reference as I suspect is is an old module of some type anyway?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting 97 to 2002 (Access 2002)

I believe that was a library that allowed you to continue to use old version code instead of learning the new stuff. unclick it and just use the DAO 3.6 reference. You may have to rewrite a few things, but there's plenty of help here if you need it.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte. I think I've gotten rid of the error message and most of the application is working, but now when I go to print some of the reports I get a "Enter Paremeter Value" popup wanting me to enter a Date or some other data. It seems to me that the date function must be different in 2002. I believe I ran into that when I went to enter a new record in a table in which the default value was Date(). 2002 didn't like that function.

Is there a different function for obtaining the current date in 2002?

Thanks again for all your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've never seen problems with Date in 2002 *except* when a reference was broken. Date isn't Access, it's VBA, but it is also one of the built-in functions that crashes and burns if there is a flaky reference in your database.

What you *will* have to do is scour your queries. In 97, you could build query parameters like Forms!MyForm!MyControl and Access was quite happy with it. The query engine in 2000 and 2002 expect square brackets around each piece of that reference in the parameters and if they don't find it, they just put square brackets around the whole thing, so you wind up with something like [Forms!MyForm!MyControl], which will result in a parameter dialog when you try to run the query, since Access can't recognize it as a forms reference. The query engine changed a lot between 97 and 2000, and this seems to be an artifact of that change.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again,

Well, after fiddling around with it quite a bit the problems all went away and everything works just fine. I'm still not sure what I did that was right, but whatever it was it worked and I am very thankful. I will have to get in there and make some improvements now that I'm runnin 2002. Actually I'm running 2003 on my new machine, but I have to compile for 2002 because that's where the application resides.

Thanks again for all your help.