Thread: Startup (97)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Startup (97)

Hi, now i am implementing my database and i have set all the 'Startup' options so that the user has no access to anything other than the file menu, all other access has been control via VB and it all works well. I have saved the database as a MDE file to further protect any changes to VB or forms etc.

I do not want to implement passwords using the Access security options as the information is not that scrutinised, so this is fine.

If I need to do updates to the design or make amendments to the code i can go back in to the original databse file and do this, then resave as MDE.

My question is, can i disable the way that if I hold SHIFT down whilst opening the MDE file users can access the tables and querys?

I have also thought of making the MDE file link to a separate file with the tables in them saved as an MDW file, but am not sure if this would help....

any thoughts or insights greatly appreciated as usual [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

regards
    Thanks,

pmatz

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Startup (97)

Have look at Frequently Asked Questions About Microsoft Access Security for Microsoft Access versions 2.0 through 2000 and go to question 27. Be careful and experiment always on a backup of your mdb.
    Francois

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you muchly Francois, very helpful [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks,

pmatz

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>My question is, can i disable the way that if I hold SHIFT down whilst opening the MDE file users can access the tables and querys?<<

Yes, this is one of the Startup option.

>>I have also thought of making the MDE file link to a separate file with the tables in them saved as an MDW file, but am not sure if this would help....<<

If you haven't already done so, you should split your database into a frontend and backend, whether or not security is an issue. The backend contains your tables and relationships, and it can be a .mdb file. Your frontend can the be .mde file which contains everything else. There is not much you can do to prevent someone from directly opening the backend, unless you invoke security. You can do some things to hide it, though, so it can't easily be found. LIke actually give the backend a different name and extension, hiding it, etc. You can't do anything with network security, since users need full rights to the directory the backend is in.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark, I will split my DB up into the two ends, just as soon as i have all updates / amendments to it! but i understand what you mean.

I have acess97 here at work, and it doesnt have a startup option to cancel the shift effect!

The previous method works though.
    Thanks,

pmatz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In fact, you need to set the AllowByPassKey property to False in *all* versions of Access from 95 up to prevent the user from using Shift to bypass the startup options.