Lounger
    Thanks

Exporting message text to file (OE 6)

Hi, I have about 500 emails in my inbox and I'd like to make a quick backup of the text of the messages (not the attachments) before I start deleting them. I thought about copying each message, switching to Word and pasting, and then repeating this for every message before finally saving the Word file as a text file which would then zip up nice and small (I don't need the whole .dbx file which is 42 MB).

Obviously such a task would take a long time. I've been fiddling about with a few free macro programs to try and automate the task but they are not reliable.

Does anyone know of a quick way to send the text of all email messages to a file?

I believe Outlook has an archive facility which seems to do a similar thing, but I use Outlook Express. Could I export the inbox to Outlook (which is on my machine) and then carry out the task through Outlook?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Exporting message text to file (OE 6)

Have you look at what you can do if you were to use, "File, save As" while the email is open?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Exporting message text to file (OE 6)

You should be able to do this in Outlook. There have been a number of posts that you could look at on automating the removal of attachments as well. The thread here might give you some ideas. Carry out a Search on the Outlook Board. If you need more help after that, then start a new thread over there. HTH
    Gre