New Lounger
    Thanks

Deleted messages in Outlook 97

A co-worker just asked me if it's possible to recover a message that has been deleted from the Deleted Items folder. I figure if anyone will know of a way, it will be you people. We're using Windows NT, in case that makes any difference.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleted messages in Outlook 97

the only thing that makes a difference is using exchange server with deleted retention enabled. otherwise, when hte folder is emptied, it's gone.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your prompt reply!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To expand Mary's answer a bit.
    If you are using Outlook with an Exchange Server, and deleted retention is enabled, messages deleted from the deleted items folder are held on the server for a further length of time - in our installation this period is 7 days.
    To test this out, you need to have the Deleted Items folder selected. With this done, try Tools | Recover Deleted Items. If the facility is not enabled, the option will be greyed out. When available, the option displays a list of deleted items any or all of which can be selected and the icon 'Recover Deleted Items' clicked. This recovers the item(s) to the Deleted Items folder.
    Be lucky!
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate the additional info. Checked the Tools menu and Recover Deleted Items wasn't greyed out, but when I clicked on it there were no messages to recover. So it doesn't look like it's enabled, unless perhaps it's been set to hold items for 0 days instead of being disabled. Don't know if that makes any sense. Anyway, just curious if you have any further comments about this. Thanks again for your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A couple of things I should have added.
    First, I didn't notice (initially) that you were on Outlook97. I have no experience of this at all - so anything I post is OL98 and/or OL2K.
    I should have also said that the exchange retention area is per mailbox - so your colleague needs to look in it for his/her deleted message. You can't get it back for them.
    Second, I mentioned our system is set to 7 days deletion retention. This is a rolling buffer system which means that it holds only those things which are deleted, by you, from your Deleted Items folder in the last seven days. Once they're older than that they really are gone for ever. So maybe your system has it set to a day or two days or something else? It could well be zero, but why?.
    Finally, if anything is deleted using Shift+Del, whether from Inbox, Deleted Items or anywhere else, they will not appear in the Exchange deleted retention area. They are instantly lost for good.
    Cheers
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

> A couple of things I should have added.
    First, I didn't notice (initially) that you were on Outlook97. I have no experience of this at all - so anything I post is OL98 and/or OL2K.

That's OK, I found that there is a "Recover Deleted Items" menu item in OL97.

> I should have also said that the exchange retention area is per mailbox - so your colleague needs to look in it for his/her deleted message. You can't get it back for them.

Yes, I realized that. The problem is that I can't get my own deleted messages.

> Second, I mentioned our system is set to 7 days deletion retention. This is a rolling buffer system which means that it holds only those things which are deleted, by you, from your Deleted Items folder in the last seven days. Once they're older than that they really are gone for ever. So maybe your system has it set to a day or two days or something else? It could well be zero, but why?.

I agree that zero wouldn't make any sense, it's just that the option isn't greyed out and yet nothing's available. But maybe it does work differently from OL98/2K.

> Finally, if anything is deleted using Shift+Del, whether from Inbox, Deleted Items or anywhere else, they will not appear in the Exchange deleted retention area. They are instantly lost for good.

Thanks. I had read about that shortcut recently (perhaps in one of Woody's newsletters) but forgot about it. However, since I haven't been using it that doesn't explain why I can't recover any deleted messages.

Thanks again for all your help on this.