3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing backwards text on labels. (Word 2000)

I am mining for ideas here - I don't know if what I want to do can be done, or if it can, what will be the best way to do it.

Our company needs to be able to create clothing lables, in somewhat large quantities (more than a few at a time). We have found another company that produces Washable Laser labels that we can use. The catch is, when you print your label text, it needs to be printed backwards for the label to work correctly (the label is an iron-on). Since the lable company does not sell any software with their labels, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this. It would be great if you could reverse text by 180 in Word, but you can't (to my knowledge). And my printer driver doesn't seem to be able to reverse text direction or print backwards. Now, what I could do is insert Word Art, then Flip it Horizontally to get the desired results, but that's a lot of manual labor to have to do when you have several labels to do at once - insert the word art, format the word art (since none of the plain black Word Art seems to have the "plain text" horizontal orientation I need when first inserted), line up the word art and and any other information on the label, etc. Can anyone think of a better way to do this? I was trying to come up with a macro of some sort, but I'm not even sure where to start.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Printing backwards text on labels. (Word 2000)

Some possibilities to consider are:
    Print onto transparency and look at the output from the wrong side (or photocopy the output in reverse if you need paper masters)
    Print to a Postscript file using a Postscript printer driver - thus letting you reverse the output - and have Adobe Acrobat turn the file into PDF which can then be printed on your own printer.
    Use other software to do what you require - eg Corel Draw or possibly Adobe Indesign. These could be set up with a template to accept data merges from Word and print the output as a mirror image.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing backwards text on labels. (Word 2000)

Another possibility is to purchase an inexpensive printer that can do mirror image printing, my old HP Deskjet 990 Cxi has this feature and I am sure there are many others that do.

StuartR