New Lounger
    Thanks

External keyboard for notebook suggestion

We have a Gateway 200x notebook, running WinXP Pro, we purchased last October. I am very happy with it. My husband wants an external keyboard to accommodate his large hands. We already purchased an external USB mouse for him. Do you have any suggestions?

The Notebook has 2-USB 2.0 ports. One is used for the external mouse and one is used for the printer and occasionally swapped for the scanner. There are no PS/2 ports.

Thank you,

Glo

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: External keyboard for notebook suggestion

I'd suggest getting a USB 2.0 Hub ... with a minimum of 4 ports. That way, you can plug in all the devices you've listed, and the new keyboard (USB of course). If I remember correctly, Belkin has a nice 4 port hub for a very reasonable price, and keyboards are almost disposable these days...
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris, do you happen to know if Win98 would work with these? I am using various USB devices without any problem but having to swap from time to time.
    Granville

Thanks

I use an old Microsoft Natural Keyboard, which has the left-hand and right-hand keys angled to keep your wrists straight.

Pro: Reasonably comfortable to use.
    Con: Makes it hard to type accurately on the normal keyboard after you get used to it.

Microsoft keeps changing the keyboard, and others have copied various versions of it, so I can't recommend any particular model, but I think they're worth looking at.

Many keyboards have an extra USB port for the mouse, in case your notebook only has one USB port.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I second the suggestion of finding a keyboard with USB ports. Mac keyboards have one on each side. Cuts down the wire clutter, works well for south-paws, and makes it easier to plug-in/unplug when you're on the move ...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, but you know how the hardware industry is -- build for today, and hope it works with the past.

These devices starting getting popular in the WinME / W2K time frame, so I really think you'd be okay, if your Win98 installation is SE.
    Christopher Baldrey

Thanks

I'd second Chris's recommendation for a 4 port USB hub. I've seen them for laptops, very small and sell for less than $8.00 US.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, thanks. I
    Granville

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by unkamunka to correct model name of keyboard.

Recently having had to replace my MS Natural Keyboard, all I could get - after extensive searching - was a MultiMedia which only comes with a PS2 port. Solution: a USB to PS2 converter.

Make sure you get a good quality USB to PS2 converter. Downside if you don't: during extended sessions, Ctrl+V for Copy/Paste turns ornery. Unless you paste the second you enter with the cursor, the clipboard contents get replaced with a screenshot. If the destination application does not support OLE embedding (like Notepad), you just get a wiped clipboard. (Without a Natural Keyboard, I start developing RSI.)
    Gre