Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express (6)

My son is the proprietor of a small business. When he is in the office he connects his notebook computer to a LAN. The office desktop computer acts as a server & that is the present extent of the LAN.

The question I have been asked is how to configure OE6 so that both he & his secretary can see & reply to all the email received addressed to the business (c@cw.co.uk) & his secretary (h@cw.co.uk)

In addition he has a personal address (cl@cw.co.uk) used from home via a dial-up connection that he also wishes to use from OE6.

My initial response was that to cover all his requirements he would have to have a different email client in the office than at home. As it happens Outlook is available both on his notebook & the office desktop.

I would be pleased to receive advice on a) are his requirements possible & if so how to configure the accounts. If not how to configure Outlook for use in the office on both computers. OE6 is already configured for home use.

I look forward to your responses.

Malcolm

Thanks

Re: Outlook Express (6)

Hi, Malcom ~

Has he attempted to set up both accounts on both (or even all three) computers? This way he, the secretary and his home account can all receive all the messages if you leave the messages on the server for some specified amount of time per the account settings in OE. Setting up a separate e-mail client won't really accomplish what is being attempted.

Also, if you have your own domain mail server, you can configure the Procmail or related configuration interface settings to copy all mail to specified accounts automatically.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Express (6)

Thank you for your reply & the points you have made. The original set up used both accounts on both computers & with what I believe is an undocumented feature of which I was informed by the ISP it worked well. That was before the LAN was installed.

My enquiries elsewhere have led to the suggestion of using IMAP instead of POP to achieve the required result by setting up an online IMAP server. I am looking into this possibility as the present ISP does not provide IMAP.

Malcolm