2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Import Netscape7 into OE 6 (OE6)

This story is a little long.
    1. Client was using Netscape 4.7. I exported the settings and the entire folder onto a backup location
    2. Client bought new machine. Carried over old files, Netscape 7.0 picked up old andd started working adding new emails as they came in.
    3. Client want to convert to OE6.
    4.Folowing the OE6 instructions for importing messages from Netscape, I found TWO mail folders, One imports into OE6 but only has the old Emails that were carried over from the old machine. The operating data. the files, containing current Emails does not import.

I am looking for a specific file names that Netscape 7 communicator uses to track down the possible problems.
    Thanks
    Gaddy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import Netscape7 into OE 6 (OE6)

The issue is that Microsoft has not updated their import filters since the demise of Netscape 4.x.

What you need to do is download a copy of Netscape 4.x and install it. (Netscape 4.8 is available here.)<UL><LI> Go to the Run command on the Start Menu and type the full path to Netscape.exe followed by the -mail switch.<UL><LI>Something like:<LI>"C:Program FilesNetscapeCommunicatorProgramNetscape.exe" -mail[/list]<LI>Then walk through the mail set-up wizard and point it towards the parent folder for all your mail accounts. Do NOT let it use your existing prefs.js file - as it will crash.<LI>You should then get the Communicator mail client opening with a list of all your mail folders - together with their accompanying MSF indexing files.<LI>Click on each of the mail folders and let Communicator read the contents. Do not bother with the MSF files. Each folder will now also be indexed with an SNM file - which is a format that Microsoft import filters can read (unlike MSF).<LI>Open up Outlook Express and choose File|Import|Messages|Netscape Communicator, point it towards the relevant folders and import all the mail you require.<LI>In certain cases, you may lose some HTML formatting in the process.[/list]HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I makes sense and is consistent with my experience. I will try it as soon as I get over to the client's and report back.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It worked, Thanks
    Downloading Netscape 4.8, opening all the folders to it (and there were more than 20) and THEN importing into OE6 made the deal.
    I get amazing help on from WOPR. I couldn't work without it.