New Lounger
    Thanks

Field Security in Word 2003 (Word 2003)

I've been trying to stop fields automatically updating in word 2003 and can't work it out.
    There was a load of stuff about field security issues with Word 2002, so much so Microsoft released the "october 16" patch, and then the field security thermostat and hidden file detector put together by Beth Melton and a.n. other lumped together and downloadable on another bit of this site. However for them to work, you need the october 16 patch, and as i'm using word 2003 not 2002, it comes up with something like; unexpected version, installation aborted.

Is there a newer one that i'm missing, or have microsoft in their infinite wisdom included this in the newer edition, and i'm just missing it?

Thanks

Re: Field Security in Word 2003 (Word 2003)

Couple questions. First, regarding what you actually need, what kinds of fields do you not want to update? I'm not sure any of the security patches affect normal day-to-day fields.

Second, have you confirmed that the special "evil" type of nested field code updates in Word 2003? If you search back, back, into the mists of time on this board, there probably were some sample documents posted for testing. (Trying to reconstruct that field from memory is waaaay beyond me.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

What has happened is that I have converted a network to word 2003, from wordperfect, and in there some of the old users used to use an automatic date (control + D) to put todays date on.

However in wordperfect once the date had been set once, it wouldn't update so you could see when, for an example a letter, had been sent. Now, whenever the same file is opened in word, the date always updates automatically to todays date, so you can't tell easily when the letter was written. I thought by turning off the fields, and by treating all of them as nasty evil fields, I could stop this and keep the date from when it was written.

any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

What you need to do is to change the DATE field Word is using to one of three others, depending on what date you'd like to have shown: CREATEDATE, SAVEDATE or PRINTDATE (probably SAVEDATE, but this won't work until the document has been saved and you'd have to be careful not to save it again later - unless you intend to update it - even when prompted by word to do so). To do this, select the errant DATE field and press Shift-F9. You should then see something like {DATE} or {DATE @ dd/mm/yy}. Simply add the required letters to change DATE into CREATEDATE, SAVEDATE or PRINTDATE then, while still in the field, press F9.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe:
    Another solution is to create a macro that will insert today's date (not as a field). e.g.
    <pre>Sub InsertDate()
    '
    ' InsertDate Macro
    ' Inserts Current Date in short form.
    '
    Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="M/d/yy", InsertAsField:=False, _
    DateLanguage:=wdEnglishUS, CalendarType:=wdCalendarWestern, _
    InsertAsFullWidth:=False
    End Sub</pre>

Another solution that I've used is a macro that will insert the date as a field, then immediately lock it. The advantage is that you will always have the created date except when you deliberately want to unlock & update the date.
    Cheers,