Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merging Hyperlinks (Word XP)

Hello,

I have a question that I believe belongs in the Word group, but it is about merging information from an Access table into Word.

I have an Access table that has hyperlink information in it, specifically, hyperlinks to other documents in a single directory on a CD I'm putting together. I would like to merge this information into a Word document so that, when the user clicks on the file name, the hyperlink will fire and will automatically open the document on the CD. I've fooled around with placing the field code of the merged information in the address line of the hyperlink dialog box, but it doesn't pick up the path name, so when you click on the merged hyperlink, the error message "File not found" appears.

All the files I'm hyperlinking to are in the same directory. Basically, I'm trying to build a table of contents in Word so that a user can open up the word document and go get the file they want by clicking on a hyperlink.

I can't seem to put a hyperlink to a document into my Access table. In Access, hyperlinks work great to websites or email addresses, but not (for me anyway) to documents on a CD. I can't include D: as part of my hyperlink information, because there's no guarantee that D: will be the CD drive.

Is there a reasonable solution to this problem? Is there a "best practices" method of doing this?

Thanks

Re: Merging Hyperlinks (Word XP)

First, I should say that I almost never do merges, so if there is a way to do this with a merge, I can't help you there.

You can use VBA to read an Access table and insert text into a document. This is more work than a merge, but it lets you manage the process more. For example, your VBA code could identify the first CDROM drive after C (see <post#=128259>post 128259</post#>) and prepend it to the paths you have stored in your database. Or you could pop up a navigation dialog for the user to confirm/override that drive and/or navigate to a different base folder.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There are a couple of articles (<!mskb=287004>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 287004<!/mskb> and <!mskb=813673>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 813673<!/mskb>) that deal with some of the issues you are facing - and there is a Service Pack that fixes at least some of the issues.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all who responded. I always have faith that if I ask enough people, I'll eventually get the solution. I have solved this issue by accepting the suggestion of making my document that contains the links a html document. That solves my problem, as you can put local links into an html document easily, and anyone who accepts a CD these days should have a browser capable of opening an html document.

It doesn't make the document easy to update when changes are necessary, (the best possible solution), but it does solve my path name problem, which was the major roadblock.

Thanks again.