2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ADO, DAO, I don't know (2002)

I need to use either ADO or DAO, I think, but I'm not sure which is the best approach or maybe it doesn't even matter which one I use. I basically need to load some Access staging tables with data sourced from either a .csv file, excel spreadsheet, or another Access table. I'll then need to be able to loop through the stage tables, apply some business rules, and then populate a "production" table with the stage data that has passed the business rule validation. I don't see a need at this point to connect to any other RDBMS or data source. Based on what I've read, DAO would probably meet my needs, but I wanted to get some outside opinions. I'm looking for pros and cons of each approach, any insight to Microsoft's direction with DAO vs ADO, and any other advice anyone would like to share.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ADO, DAO, I don't know (2002)

Which model are you most comfortable with? And do you really need to do this in code or would a direct import into a staging table and then running update queries work just as well?
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ADO, DAO, I don't know (2002)

I don't think it would matter much. I'd say the final decision would probably be based on what you are more comfortable with. My understanding is that while Microsoft had long declared that ADO was replacing DAO, it seems like I read somewhere that DAO has made a "comeback" of sorts in Access2003. Apparent MS realized DAO was too useful to discard!
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.