New Lounger
    Thanks

Style Sheets (2000)

We are having trouble with style sheets. I have a document, we went offline on the network while in use. When we went back in the document the styles are gone. It has taken some of the styles and is acting like there is a soft return and it runs all the styles for many paragraphs with one style selected on a single paragraph. Also it took everything that was bold in the paragraphs and inverted it. Now the things that should be bold are not bold, etc. (I have attached the document.) We use the style area in the documents to view the styles as we go.

Also if you have a paragraph style, then you apply a character style of bold. If you make a mistake and choose a different paragraph style that has bold in it, it will invert your bold there also. Any ideas on how to keep the bolding? For now we created a no style paragraph tag and apply that before we put on the correct style.

How can you get rid of all of Words pre-built in styles? I would like to get rid of normal, the default paragraph character style,and all the other pre-built in styles. They mess us up when we flow the text into InDesign, Quark and Frame.

Any help would be appreciated. Getting really frustrated. Thanks!!!1
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Style Sheets (2000)

It's hard to tell what the on/offline issue might be, but I have some pointers for you:

You can't get rid of the built-in styles, but that doesn't mean you have to use them. Create a new document, set up the styles you like, such as "Paragraph" or "Body Text" instead of "Normal" and then use "Save As" to create a template. If all the text in the document is "Paragraph" and all the styles such as "Heading 1" have a next style set to "Paragraph" then you'll never run into Normal (which is a good thing, trust me).

The bold inversion is probably something you're stuck with. Generally, don't create paragraph styles with bold unless you mean for everything to be bold anyway.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Style Sheets (2000)

>>We are having trouble with style sheets. I have a document, we went offline on the network while in use. When we went back in the document the styles are gone. It has taken some of the styles and is acting like there is a soft return and it runs all the styles for many paragraphs with one style selected on a single paragraph..<<

I took a look at your attached document. I'm not sure why it happened, but perhaps there was corruption when you went offline. In any event, some paragraph marks were not true paragraph marks. This is why the bold runs on for paragraphs. I don't know if you had Tools/Templates & Add-ins.../Automatically update document styles ticked, but that can cause problems. You can use Find/Replace to replace ^13 with ^p, but you'll still have to adjust the paragraph styles, which contain direct formatting.

>>Also if you have a paragraph style, then you apply a character style of bold. If you make a mistake and choose a different paragraph style that has bold in it, it will invert your bold there also. Any ideas on how to keep the bolding? For now we created a no style paragraph tag and apply that before we put on the correct style.<<

Bold, italic, & underlining are among the character formats that "invert". For good or bad, Word tries to keep the contrast. So if you have a paragraph that is mostly non bold with a few bold words, applying bold to the paragraph toggles the formatting. The paragraph becomes bold & the previously bolded words become non bold. You could strip out all character formatting first by selecting the paragraph & pressing Ctrl+Spacebar. Other than that, I don't know of a way to prevent the behavior when you apply the wrong style.

>>How can you get rid of all of Words pre-built in styles? I would like to get rid of normal, the default paragraph character style,and all the other pre-built in styles. They mess us up when we flow the text into InDesign, Quark and Frame.<<

You cannot delete a built-in styles. "Deleting" it merely resets it to its default. The default paragraph character style really isn't a style, as such. It merely removes any direct formatting & the formatting reverts to the default for the paragraph style.