Thread: NTFS issues

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NTFS issues

A couple of very basic questions which may belong in other forums:
    I have set up a new PC which had Windows XP SP1a already installed and the 80Gb drive formatted with NTFS. I partitioned the drive into 4 NTFS partitions using Partition Magic 8, with the first partition containing the OS and programs. I installed my old slave drive (NTFS) into the new machine as a slave for additional data storage. So far, so good.
    When trying to set up Drive Image 7, I was unable to test the PowerQuest Recovery Environment as the BIOS is not set to boot from CD. I was unable to change the boot sequence to boot from CD-ROM first ,as there was no response to trying to move the CD-ROM to number one (or C drive to number 2) using the "+" and "-" keys.
    My questions: Do I take it that NTFS-formatted partitions cannot be made to boot from CD? Is this the reason I was unable to change the boot sequence?
    I presume that I can use the Windows CD if I am in trouble (at least, I assume that is so- is it?), but am curious as to what is happening here.
    I was able to boot from CD on my previous machine, which had the OS on a FAT32 drive.
    Thank you for extending my computer education!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NTFS issues

I doubt that the NTFS partitions have anything to do with this. It sounds to me like your BIOS just can't boot from the CD. Which would also mean that you won't be able to boot from the Windows CD.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Stuart for the immediate reply.
    Sounds a rather grim prospect! What are the options for creating a recovery environment?
    Am quite surprised by the BIOS issue, as this is a brand new Dell 4600 with all the bells and whistles. Any reason for Dell using a BIOS with this restriction?
    Dianne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My first guess here is that the CD is either not connected (loose connection) or perhaps misconfigured. Does the CD drive show up in My Computer? Check the cables. Since you said that you installed the old hard drive, I'm wondering if you have the jumpers on the back of the CD correctly configured. You should have two 80 wire ribbon cables. Can you describe how your drives are configured? I don't know of any reason for your computer to not be able to be set to boot from CD. Something is set up wrong.

kip

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The CD-RW DVD combo drive is connected and functioning perfectly for reading and writing.
    The master and slave hard drives are accessible and functioning normally for reading and writing. I set them to up as directed in the Dell handbook, using the ribbon cable in the PC, which has the 80 pin ribbon cable with connectors marked for drive 1 and drive 2, and used that way.
    Both hard drives have four NTFS partitions, all showing up in My Computer, as is the CD drive.
    I checked out the BIOS manufacturer, and it is a recent model made by Phoenix, and should be able to be set so that I can boot from CD.
    Have contacted Dell tech support, and hope that the mystery may be resolved by them. Will let you know if I receive a reply and what the resolution of the problem is (I hope).
    Thanks
    Dianne

Banned Member
    Thanks

The Bios should allow you to change boot sequence regardless of what you have hooked up,, or not hooked up. It just won't boot from the device if it's not there are not working.What I'm trying to say is,,your choices for Boot Sequencing are built into the BIOS as standard choices.,,they don't appear as you hook them up. Sounds to me like your Bios is messed up.
    And NTFS has nothing to do with you being able to change boot sequence or boot from a CD.
    Are you sure you are changing the boot sequence correctly in Bios?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The BIOS was playing hard-to-get, rather than messed up.
    I went back in and checked out all the BIOS information in each section, and all appeared correct. Had another try at shifting the boot sequence and it worked straight off. As they say, go figure!
    Thanks to all who responded so generously to yet another self-fixing problem.
    Dianne