Thread: What is Osa?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

What is Osa?

When I ctrl-alt-del to peek at what is running, one of the apps always present is Osa. What is it, pls.?
    I have been able to get explanations for Rnaapp and Em_exec using this site's excellent search feature, but Osa is not found.
    Tks., Peter

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What is Osa?

Hi Peter

OSA is a microsoft Office app. Don't know exactly what the acronym stands for but I've always thought it was Office Startup Application (my own interpretation based on the fact that it lives in my startup directory and results in the Office toolbar being started up.)

Sorry I can't tell you more about this but maybe this info will help you in the right direction if you want to find more details.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds so plausible that the hunt is over, so far as I'm concerned (and I'm still kicking myself for not thinking of it)! Tks, P.

Thanks

I came across this - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q210/8/75.ASP>Q210875</A> - where it refers to OSA9.exe as the Office Startup Assistant.
    Still sounds like the most plausible answer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great catch! It's interesting that this apparently was loaded either by Win98 SE or by Word 2000. I don't run Win 2000 and the rest of my suite is Works. OEM supplier is Dell, so maybe they are doing some mixin'-'n-matchin' on the systems they ship, from the depth of their knowledge of stuff MS ships without taking the trouble to tell the paying customer . . . Tks., P.

Thanks

Further research reveals
    No.1 with a description for setting up an instant screensaver.
    and
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/276/2001/1/0/5047528/>No.2</A> from some unknown forum where the correspondent apppears to be pointing towards a lack of osa.exe in the startup folder causing problems in opening documents. Food for thought there.