New Lounger
    Thanks

Driver Size-Properties (Win XP PRO)

In my computer my C drive properties tells me that I have used about 8GIGA on a partition of 20. Adding up the properties from all the folders I have on that drive;documents and setting, my programs, etc. I only come to 3GIGA. Where have 5GIGA gone?

Thanks
    Carol

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Driver Size-Properties (Win XP PRO)

Wow, you've got a lot of time on your hands, haven't ya? I'm NOT gonna go to the trouble you did, but I suspect probably the Recycle Bin, Swap file or some such.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As well as the things Al identified:
    Some of the space will have been used up just by formatting the disk, which creates the metadata used to locate files on the disk.
    Some space has probably been "lost" in the excess space in disk clusters that have small files. (If each disk cluster is 8KBytes then 100 2-byte files will consume 800KBytes).

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore will take up some space, too, maybe 200mb. Also when you added up your folder sizes, did you include hidden folders? Make sure "show hidden folders" is checked in My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View.

kip

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Carol--

As Kip says, System Restore can take up space and we have had examples in the Lounge where it has been a huge space hog--considerably more than 200MB. It makes points all the time according to at least 5 default criteria. They default it to 12% of the total drive--or 400MB for drives that are smaller than 4GB). That can and often does come come up to considerable real estate. Many regard it as the #1 XP Disk Hog. If the system drive has less than 200MB of free disk space, or a non-system disk has less than 50MB of free space, XP suspends System Restore when a file that SR is tracking is copied, modified or deleted. The suspension applies to all disks, not just the disk that's short of space. To start it again you have to free 200MB of space on the system disk or 50 MB on the non-system disk.

Turn it off for data only drives--it does nothing there. System Restore is a greater space hog than Recycle Bin, Temporary Internet Files, the paging file, and the hibernation file--its fellow leading disk hogs.

You probably never need that slider for System Restore Space reached by Windows + Pause Break key>System Properties>System Restore Tab at the full 12% or anywhere near it and this is an excellent tip toward space saving on a disk. DX Hog Hunt is an a good free download that will show you what's taking up your disk real estate and where.

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Also "Hibernation" and/or "Switch User" will eat up your disk drive.
    Do you have Hibernation running?
    Do you use switch user?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your advise... for all the advise for that matter....I downloaded that neat application DX Hog Hunter and found that I have 3.1 GIGA in a folder called system volume information....Is this an important ???? I got to that slider, not the way you mentioned... through the help ... and reset the slider it was at max 12% ... what would be the best option... I have never used restore....

Thanks Carol

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I may get chewed out but ..
    If you go into System Restore you will see folders dated back to when ever. It is MY thought that I will not ever need to go back to a restore point more than 5 or 6 from my current date. So I have deleted all the ones before 'X' date. Freeing up a huge amount of space. Put the slider to 3% which should be more than enough to hold the number of restore points you will want.
    A handy utility like DX_Hog is SizeExplorer It looks exactly like WIndows explorer and lets you manipulate files as well.

http://www.sizeexplorer.com/sep.htm
    Enjoy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

System Volume Information folder is an important folder because it is where the System Restore points reside. It isn't unusual at all for this scenario--"Dude where's my space?" to happen and System Restore the culprit. Other of the usual suspect hogs are the swap file, hibernation, temporary internet files, and recycle bin. You can usually get to most things in XP 2-4 ways. I would set the slider to 3%--should give you enough restore points--I'm on the same page with Gaddy here. Ck. iit every once in a while. Also Carol-- restore points are automatically set all the time when you install an app,reboot, every 24 hours by default, install a Windows update, install an unsigned driver. Knowing that gives you lattitude to minimize that slider and pick up some much needed real estate.

System restore can save you--it's important and if you ever can't boot with a blue screen and can F8 to Safe Mode and save XP with it, it'll become your new best friend. It got a bad rap pre-SP1 because Microsoft had'nt realized people were being locked out of it. So they'd try it--come up that it didn't work--and walk away thinking it was worthless; that got fixed.

See System Restore.

SMBP