New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing OE5 messages to OE6 (OE6)

I just joined up. Thanks for having me! I have looked through the archives to see if my question has been asked and answered, and although I saw stuff that was close, I didn't find the help I need. So, pardon me if this ground has been covered.

I recently bought a new computer with WinXP and OE6 came bundled with it. My old computer ran Win98SE and I used OE5. I copied my Express5 directory to my new computer and proceeded to try and import it. Under "import" the options were OE6 and OE4! No OE5! When I tried OE4 I got old messages from 2 computers ago, which I didn't even know still were there. What shall I do?

bbevy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Importing OE5 messages to OE6 (OE6)

Go to your old machine and do a "search" on *.dbx. You should find the files with the newer dates. Copy these over to your new machine and try and import them.
    You may also want ti see if there is a newer *.wab file, which will be your address book.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did that. Nada. All the email folders are in their original directory (that is I transferred the entire directory over to the new machine). Perhaps they should be in a differently named folder? Someone suggested to me to put them directly into OE6 but that sounds risky to me and I haven't tried it.

I failed to mention it earlier but interestingly enough, the address book imported just fine. Thank heavens for that!

bbevy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

bbevy,
    Did you use the Search function of Windows 98 or did you just browse around looking for these files, in the folders that you thought where they should be?

"Perhaps they should be in a differently named folder?" YES, that is way you need to do a "SEARCH".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.