Thanks

Deleting temporary internet files

If I right click on drive C: and choose disk cleanup, I can choose to delete temporary internet files. So I do that and afterwards, the disk clean up dialog box tells me that zero space is taken up by temporary internet files. However, the C:WindowsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5 folder still contains subfolders with cryptic names like (to give just one example) 2HFG9OJI, and right clicking on Content.ie5 and checking the properties shows 93.9 MB taken up by them. So why isn't this lot cleared when I choose to delete temporary internet files? (They aren't cleared either by Tools--Internet Options--General--Delete files in IE6.)

Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting temporary internet files

I've also found this too. If I've really needed to get some more space, I've just manually deleted them from within Windows Explorer.

Thanks

Re: Deleting temporary internet files

Yes. I've done a little more research since my post, and share the results here in case they help anyone else.

It seems that, if all goes well, the temporary files get deleted when you choose to delete them whether from within IE, or using the disk clean up feature in Windows. However, it can happen that if say your computer crashes while you are using IE, Windows won't subsequently recognise the temporary files so as to be able to delete them. (Just the ones from that IE, session, I think.) Like you, I decided to delete them manually, and I have now set IE to always empty them on exit from IE. (A luxury I can afford with a broadband connection!) That all worked well, but after a freeze while using IE, I had to delete some by hand.

The registry apparently keeps track of the contents of the folders in a desktop.ini file saying something like

[.ShellClassInfo]
    UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}

(You can search the registry for that lot, and find that it does refer to temporary internet files.) If you delete the contents of the folder (apart from the desktop.ini file) the folder gradually fills up as time goes by with new temporary files. If you delete the folders as a whole, it asks if you really want to delete the system file(s) called desktop.ini. If you say yes, then next time you use IE, it seems to reconstitute the folders, empty apart from the desktop.ini files. So I conclude that no harm is done by deleting them.

No doubt, if I am mistaken, some Lounger who knows more than I do will be able to put me right.

Ian