New Lounger
    Thanks

No Icons on desktop

My brother-in-law has a Gateway with Windows XP and when I tried putting an icon on his desktop it doesn't show up. In fact he has NO icons on his desktop. I think it is easier to access a progrm from the desktop rather than going to the Start Menu and starting from there. Can anyone help me as to why he has no icons. I know how to create a shortcut and put it on the desktop but did that and it is not visible.

Thanks

Re: No Icons on desktop

Have you tried to right click the desktop. Select "arrange icons by" And checked the show desktop icons? You can show or hide desktop icons with this.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Icons on desktop

First run a viral scan (if recent change) unless this is an OEM computer that came that way and Viking's tip doesn't work. Then:

Try right clicking the desktop> click properties>click customize desktop>put a checkmark in the desktop icons. Then open up internet explorer browse to a few sites, and try dragging the "e" from the namebar of the window. Do you have icons then? IIf this is a recent occurence, what happens when right click the taskbar and select Task Manager? Are any processes running? Try selecting the applications tab and clicking the "new task button" typing in explorer.exe and repeating the process above. If no results try booting to Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key on boot and clicking Last Known Good Configuration. If no results there, then tap the F8 key and try the same steps above in Safe Mode. If that doesn't work and this is a recent occurence, why not try System Restore? You can undo its results with a mouse click if they aren't acceptable.

Then try running System File Checker References are in the first 3 links in Post 338243. If SFC does not work, try doing an inplace upgrade of Windows XP:

315341:How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP

SMBP