Lounger
    Thanks

PCMCIA won't network (2002)

The D-Link PCMCIA DFE-650TX card won't connect to the network on this Toshiba Satellite 2100CDS. It worked well with Windows 98 but after upgrading to Windows XP the card won't function. It starts to, and says it is installing, and almost seems to finish when the machine hangs completely and must be turned off with the on/off switch. I've tried changing the PCMCIA BIOS setting from "auto" to the other two settings, PCIC compatible and Cardbus/16. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I can't find help on the D-Link site nor on Microsoft. Any suggestions? Russ

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: PCMCIA won't network (2002)

Did you READ the instructions on how to install this device?

Some instructions state to "Install the software first". If you placed the device in first, it may not work properly. If you did NOT follow the instructions you may need to contact the OEM of this device. Also do you have windows XP drivers and software for this or are you still using the Windows 98 CD?

Did the Toshiba Satellite 2100CDS come with Win 98 and you upgraded it to Win XP?
    If so you will need to get ALL of the Windows XP drivers for this make and model.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you downloaded the driver that added support for XP from the D-Link support site? With PCMCIA cards you need to first uninstall the card then download and install the new driver then put in the card. You can find the driver at http://support.dlink.com/ . The driver package is a little over a half a MB. Good luck

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I read the instructions. XP says the driver in Windows is more current than any on the D-Link disk. It refuses to install or consider another. The instructions say to put in the card and Windows will install it. On the D-Link disk the XP directory has only a small readme text file, no special drivers.

Lounger
    Thanks

The download from D-Link is nearly like the installation CD-ROM. It has only a small readme text file in the XP directory but that piece does mention an installation floppy, which I have never seen or heard of before!
    This Toshiba did come with Win98. The Toshiba site doesn't have any update files for this machine and Windows XP. (That I can find.)
    Thanks for your help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It looks like you need to install this card manually. Sometimes Windows needs a helping hand. You will need to use the hardware wizard in the Control Panel and select the type/name of hardware from the list then select the make then the model from the lists provided. I had to do this with a PCMCIA card modem when I moved from W98 to Win2K.Since all the documentation states XP has your NIC on list, this should go smoothly. Good Luck.