millby2000

Dates are driving me nuts, prunes aren't anybetter

Sorry about the little humor (very little) but it helps me from going nuts. Now for my problem -

I am using Access 97.

I have two controls on a FORM (PTFORM) (1) Admit Date and (2) Discharge Date. Both are in a date format. Both controls are bound to separate date fields in a table (PTTBL), through a query (PTQUERY).

My problem is related to a report that I am trying to generate. My report is set up using a Query that pulls data from the PTTBL. When I run the report a parameter box appears asking for the Beginning Date and the Ending Date. Generally, the report is run on a calendar month basis. (eg 3/1/01 to 3/31/01.) The data in the report generates the data correctly from my Table based on the Beginning and Ending dates entered.

One of the fields in the report is a calculated field. I am trying to calculate the number of days between the Admit date and the last day of the month for whatever month period the parameter is set for. I have tried to set up an expression in the Query tied to the report such as:

ADMITtoEOM:SUM[ENDING DATE]-[ADMIT DATE]
    The ENDING DATE is the second parameter date field entered at the time I run the report and the ADMIT DATE is from the table itself.

When I run this report, it won't run. I get an error suggesting I set up a variable of some sort.

Any suggestions? Have I totally confused the issue? Or do I need more prunes?

Thanks for your help.
    Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dates are driving me nuts, prunes aren't anybetter

Check out the DateDiff function in on-line help

kbahr99

If I understand your code correctly, it looks like to field names in your database have a space in them? If so, you should rename them. Also avoid using field names that are reserved words (such as DATE and MODULE). Unfortunately, Access doesn't give you a warning message when you do things like that and even the best of us can fall into that pitfall.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

have you tried doing the calculation in the report instead of the query
    hth

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unless you need to find the sum total of differences for a number of records for the same person, you don't need the "SUM" part ADMITtoEOM:[ENDING DATE]-[ADMIT DATE] should do the trick.

However, it doesn't seem to work properly if you're relying on the query assuming all undefined "variables" are query parameters, you need to actually define [ENDING DATE] as a parameter of type DateTime in the query.

A further alternative is to use ADMITtoEOMateDiff("d",[ADMIT DATE],[ENDING DATE]).