Lounger
    Thanks

splitting database into front end / backend (2002)

I understand the benefits of splitting a database into frontend / backend components. The utility provided in Access accomplishes the task well but it seems to move all tables to the back end even though some tables (i.e. the data) belong in the backend and others may not (i.e. table that provide data to combo boxes, list boxes, etc).

What is the convention that experienced Accesss database designers use? Do all tables go in the backend or not? It seems to me as a beginner at this that the data belongs in the backend and information that belongs to the "user interface" belongs in the front end.

If in fact the tables need to be split between the front end and back end - what is the procedure for accomplishing that? If the Access database splitter has been used, what is the proper way to move some of the tables back to the front end?

Bob Holmstr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: splitting database into front end / backend (2002)

Just import the tables from the back end into the front end and then delete the instance of that table in the front end. If you have the backend tables linked, you'll need to delete the links for those tables you want in the front end.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, you seem to imply that it is appropriate to have the tables distributed between the front end and back end.

I am confused by your statement - import the table from the back end to the front end and then delete the instance of the table in the front end - what exactly does that mean?

How do you delete the links to tables that are in the front end only?

Bob Holmstr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry if I confused you. I was assuming your had linked all the backend tables to the front end, since that is usually the way a split database works. You have to delete the front end link to the particular table you want local in the front end. Then you can import the table itself from the back end into the front end. Tables in the front end don't have links. The links are to tables in another database. Is that any clearer?
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, all the tables were moved to the backend and linked to the frontend by the Access data base splitting tool. I understand in principle what you are telling me to do, but I don't know how to delete the links - I tried using the Access help files but the response to "delete link" or "delete link to back end file" is obscure at best!

Bob Holmstr

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: splitting database into front end / backend (2

In the tables section of the Database Window, linked tables are shown with a black arrow next to them.

To remove the link to a table, just select the table in the database window, and hit the Delete key. This will remove the link to the table. It will no longer appear in the database window, but will still be present in the backend db.

If you really don't want it at all (because you now imported it into the front end) you would need to open the backend db and delete the table there.
    Regards
    John