New Lounger
    Thanks

consolidating data from different workbooks into 1 (Excel 2000)

Hi,

I get hundreds of workbooks at month-end that I need to consolidate into a single data sheet. How could I automate this? Also, a lot of these billing data (in the form of workbooks) that I get have duplicate names but different values (typically, there could be people billed for some period in one project and then billed in some other). I need to automate the consolidation without any overwriting. Perhaps conditional formatting could be the solution (entries for the same person could be highlighted).
    Please help!

Thanks

Re: consolidating data from different workbooks into 1 (Excel 2000)

Some thoughts on a general solution, there is not enough detail to be too specific.

Macro code to:
    1) Create a new workbook for the consolidation (or append to an existing one if desired) Set up header row, etc as desired
    2)Prompt for files to import [User selects from the list] Or if the directory is all for import just grab the entire list without promting
    3) open (one-by-one) the files (I would open as read-only) in the list and loop thru them. Wile open
    4) "grab" the data of interest and add it to the workbook
    5) close the file and do the same for the next
    6) after all files have been looped thru clean up the consolidated files: Sort, format, as desired.
    7) If there is a possibility of dupe entries, you could use adv filter to filter the entire list and only display the unique items, then copy this "filtered, unique list" to a new worksheet and then delete the original before you sort and format

Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: consolidating data from different workbooks into 1 (Excel 2000)

See if This Message will get you started. If not, we will need more details on exactly what you want to do.
    Legare Coleman