4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ordering Xtab Column headings (XP)

Dera loungers,

I have a crosstab query which has column headers from atable where I am using the Status field, I want to order these across the top of the crosstab based on the Prtseq field which holds a numerical value for instance in this case:

Rec: 1, Status: new, PrtSeq: 10
    Rec: 2, Status: live, PrtSeq: 99
    Rec: 1, Status: approved, PrtSeq: 20

I want the column headings to be "New", "Approved", "Live".

How do i sequence based on a "third-party field? - I did think that a simple query with the given sort sequence and then used in the crosstab, rather than the table would do it, sadly it doesn't.

any ideas

liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ordering Xtab Column headings (XP)

Hi liz,

The column headers are always in alphabetical order unless you specify them explicitly.

Open the crosstab query in design view.
    Activate the Properties window if necessary.
    Click in an empty part of the upper part of the query window to see the properties of the query as a whole.
    Enter the column headings in the desired order in the Column Headings property, just the way you entered them in your post:

"New", "Approved", "Live"

You can also use the Column Headings property to display only part of the available items. Only those explicitly listed will be shown.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thank you, I know about this but it does mean the thing is hard wired and not data driven. these Status records may be added to so i wanted soemthing that would do this dynamically.... my cheap and cheerful solution is to prefix the status with the PrtSeq number fso I end up with, for example: "10 - New ", "20 - Approved", "99 - Live". it's just a bit clumsy

liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's more than just a bit clumsy. If you rely on the values to create your column headings, you will only see the headings of the data you have currently. If there are in between columns that don't have any data that day, you won't see them. The column headings mean you will always see the column even if there is no data that day for that value. It is possible to modify the SQL of the query to add column headings later on, but it would normally require code for that purpose.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As Charlotte says, you can use code to alter the SQL of a query to achieve this result. I have done this before using a table to create and sequence the PIVOT clause.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

yes, I don't like it! but what I do is make an outer join to get the "no value" column headings... it does mean that there is one row with rubbish i.e. the no value stuff (in this case it only has "X" in the "cell") crude but expedient!.

liz