2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Special characters that don't stick in Word (Office 2000/Win XP)

Hi Gang,
    I have an Excel file that has special characters in it. When I bring it into Word (as a Microsoft Excel Object) certain characters show up as ???. If I do a plain paste in Word everything is fine. These are the names of certain communes in Viet Nam (i.e. Kỳ T

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Special characters that don't stick in Word (Office 2000/Win XP)

Hi,

Try linking the data as RTF or HTML text via Edit|Paste Special. Both of these can generate a tabular representation of your Excel workbook, but in a Word table. Note, too that Word's Edit|Paste Special linking is version specific, as it embeds the version number (eg 7, 8 or 9) in the field. I don't know if this causes compatability problems with earlier versions.

To do the linking manually and avoid any potential versioning issues, name the range you want to refer to, then create a LINK field like:
    {LINK Excel.Sheet "C:My DocumentsTest.xls" "Named range" a h}
    for HTML or
    {LINK Excel.Sheet "C:My DocumentsTest.xls" "Named range" a r}
    for RTF. The a switch tells word to automatically update the links, which unfortunately doesn't get added if you simply use Edit|Paste Special HTML/RTF

Cheers
    PS: Note the double backslashes separating the folder names in the path.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi macropod:
    I recently learned that you can replace double backslashes in field pathnames (e.g. Includetext, Includepicture, & Link fields) with single forward slashes. Both work identically, as far as I can tell.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Interesting observation - I'll have to check it out sometime. The only reason that the double backslash has been required is because the backslash character is treated as a special/switch character in a field, rather like double quotes in other contexts. For my own part, I've found that a path solicited via an ASK field works in INCLUDE fields etc with only the single backslash. Can't quite figure that one out ... could be something to do with Word process the bookmark as a string without inspecting it for backslashes.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]