5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MDE file won't open (OXP SR-2)

I e-mailed a user a zipped copy of my mde file. (Zipped because Outlook wouldn't let me send an MDE file.) I created the mde from an Access 2002 mdb, running on my WinXP Pro SP1 system. User has Office 2002 w/o Access, WinXP Pro SP1. User unzipped the file to her MyDocs folder and when she double-clicked the file Windows said it couldn't open it. WinXP suggested the Web or Choose File To Open With. What gives? I thought mde was a self-contained executable. Did I miss a step? Does the user need to change a setting somewhere? The mde runs fine on my system, but I have Access, so it's not a valid comparison. It is a true mde file because Form Design is greyed out.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MDE file won't open (OXP SR-2)

MDE files are not self-contained executables. You need Access to run them. The difference between a MDE and MDB files is that you can't make design changes to forms, reports, macros and modules. If you have Office Developers Edition you can provide the end user a runtime version of Access that will allow the user to run the file (mdb or mde)
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MDE file won't open (OXP SR-2)

The user stills need Access to open an MDE file. There is no really self-contained version of an Access database. To be able to make an Access database available to users without Access, you need the Developer Edition of Microsoft Office. This includes Access Runtime plus a license to distribute this to end-users together with your database (.MDB or .MDE.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reply to All: MDE file won't open (OXP SR-2)

In the immortal words of Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca "I guess I was misinformed". Can the user add an Access 2003 upgrade to her Office XP Standard, or should I try to find an Access 2002 upgrade?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reply to All: MDE file won't open (OXP SR-2)

Since he hasn't Access on his PC, I don't think he can use an upgrade. Having Office XP(2002) I would suggest to stay in the same version and try to find a version of Access 2002.
    Francois

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Correction of my previous post, according this MS web page you should be able to buy an upgrade of Access 2003 if you have Office XP Standard
    Francois

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.