New Lounger
    Thanks

Sign-In Window Pop up Nuisance (WindowsXP Pro v2002 SP1, IE6 v6.0.2800.110

Several weeks ago I started to encounter a pop-up window that has since become a nuisance.

When I start IE6, the window will pop-up usually telling me that it is "Connecting to us.i1.yimg.com." The window contains normal items found in the standard sign-in window: "User name:, Password:, and a check-bos to Remember my password."

Since I have no desire to connect with us.i1.yimg.com, I click the X or the "Cancel" button; the box closes and returns. At times, I've had to cancel or use AltF4 35 or 40 times before the box finally stops asking to connect. Sometimes it takes only 2-or3 attempts to cancel it. As I navigate the web, it will appear at some URLs; at others, it will not appear. Sometimes the "connect to" URL will change. Haven't been able to determine a pattern though.

As long as the sign-in box is present, nothing loads from the web site. As soon as I successfully AltF4 or X it away, things work just fine.

I've un-installed and re-installed IE6 and all updates (but hesitate to do the same with WinXP Pro) and the pop-up is still there. I've done registry searches, looking for spyware stuff, but find nothing that I recognize as being associated with the window. I'm literally at wits end.

I use an OutPost firewall from Agnitum. I have the latest versions and updates for SpyBlocker, Ad-aware, SpywareGuard, Spybot-Search & Destroy, SpywareBlocker and PopUp Defender installed. This thing is like the Energizer Bunny ... just keeps popping-up. I can block everything imagineable execpt this persistent sign-in pop-up window. HELP!!!

My sincere thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sign-In Window Pop up Nuisance (WindowsXP Pro

Have a look at HijackThis - and the accompanying follow up steps - as recommended in this <!post=Star Post,296439>Star Post<!/post>. HTH
    Grüße