3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt replica at hub (2000)

I am getting a 'Cannot open database ... It may not be a database that your application recognises, or the file may be corrupt' message whenever anybody tries to synchronise with a replica that forms the centre of a replication hub. I also get a similar message when I try to open the replica directly. The Design master is not part of the replication scheme and is not useful as a source of backup.

I think I recall from going through this once before that if I let Access repair the replica then it will work as a database again but still will not synchronise. Am I right about this and, if so, is there anything else that I can do? If I restore the replica from backup will the other replicas re-synchronise correctly or will they 'think' that they have already synchronised their changes and not update?

Incidentally, I read the backup strategy suggested in replies to the earlier post from Rosanne and it looks like very good advice that I will instigate asap.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt replica at hub (2000)

You may be able to synchronize a backup, but you will probably loose some changes and ultimately end up with lots of conflicts that you will have to resolve manually - it's a very ugly process. It also presumes that nobody was making changes at the centre hub replica. And if you do a repair on the database (assuming it will let you), it may or may not work as a replica. Are you using replication manager from the Developer Version of Office 2000?
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt replica at hub (2000)

Replicas, including the design master, do go bad. It may sound preachy, but part of dealing with replication is to plan for that and work out a strategy to minimize the data and design loss in that situation. In most cases, you may have to recover the hub replica and then create new replicas from it for the individual workstations.
    Charlotte