New Lounger
    Thanks

Using customised settings (Normal.dot) in Word XP (migrating Word97-XP)

Hi - I'm new to the Lounge so please be patient if I don't get this right first time.

I am a long term user of Office97 (with Win98). My company is soon switching to WinXP and Office XP. I regularly customise my toolbars and menus to add facilities I use constantly and also to add files to customised toolbars and menus to give instant access to files I use several times a day for instance templates, list of phone numbers.

I have been told that my Normal.dot, which of course is where these settings are stored will not transport to Word XP. I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using customised settings (Normal.dot) in Word XP (migrating Word97-XP

Hi Mary,

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

It is not advisable to use your Word 97 version of Normal.dot as default template in Word 2002, but you should be able to transfer various settings. To avoid confusion, you might want to rename it to Normal97.dot or something like that. Open it in Word 2002 by right-clicking it in Windows Explorer and selecting Open from the context menu, or by opening it from withing Word itself. (If you double click a template in Windows Explorer, the default action is to create a new document based on the template.)

You can copy custom toolbars to your new Normal.dot (the 2002 version) using the Organizer (open it from Tools | Templates and Add-ins...) With the Organizer, you can copy styles, AutoText entries, toolbars and macros from one template/document to another.

Note: Office XP applications, including Word 2002, by default show only part of the menus; each menu has an arrow at the bottom to display it fully. If you find this irritating (as I do), select Tools | Customize..., activate the Options tab and tick the "Always show full menus" box.

You may well have more questions about the switch from Office 97 to Office XP. Feel free to post them in the appropriate forum here.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Using customised settings in Word XP Thanks

Thank you very much. The info in your reply looks like it will do exactly what I need. I will give a try. I'm sure I'll be back with more queries before too long. Mary

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using customised settings (Normal.dot) in Word XP (migrating Word97-XP

Hi Mary:
    I see Hans has already given you some good advice, but I'd like to add something. As he mentioned, double clicking your normal97.dot template will open a document based on that template. However, toolbars, autotext, styles, keyboard shortcuts, & macros should still be available.

I suspect that you have your macro security set for "high" (Tools/Macro/Security...). Set it for medium. Then it will prompt you when you open a template (or document based on a template) that is not in your default template folder. You can then choose to enable macros. I suspect that if you had placed your old normal.dot in the template folder, replacing the XP normal.dot (not that I'm recommending this), that you would have found your customizations.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using customised settings Normal.dot in Word XP

Thanks Phil. I tried it and it worked like a dream except that it doesn't show your custom settings straight off. I had to click View, Toolbars and choose each custom toolbar to make them show up, and I had to click Tools, Customize to make the custom menus show. Took me a little while to work that one out, but I'm getting there. Mary