2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any issues with latest security patch?

The latest MS Windows security patch finally plugs the hole of special chars in URLs getting masked, and should hopefully make the spoofed URL an obsolete way to annoy users.

However, the patch eliminates the use of URLs with http://userwd@somewhere.example.com
    Can anyone think of public websites that use this approach for regular access? Require it for bookmarks? I know I've saved an FTP site of my own using that method.

Thanks,
    Joel

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Any issues with latest security patch?

Joel--

It may be a little early because it takes a large percent of people awhile to decide or to be aware of these hotfixes, but I have seen a number of reports like this one on different web news sites including IE, Windows and Beta news sites. After a reasonable amount of time, I have not seen Woody or other newsletters on the web miss an opportunity to summarize the extent of problems it they exist:

IE Security Patch Nixes Some Apps: CNET News Feburary 4, 2003

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Actually, I was surprised that Woody didn't issue an insta-response, given how long he's harped on this issue.

Lounger
    Thanks

There is an issue with Notepad.exe and it's shortcut for people who have run Cleaner-type programs where duplicates may have been removed. CWShredder for one removed an instance of notepad.exe but they released a new patch to correct it.

Anyone with Notepad problems can just put a copy notepad back in C:WindowsSystem32.