Gold Lounger
    Thanks

History Corrupted XP??? (Win XP Pro SP1 IE6SP1)

I find it convenient to save history many days, and had no problem until about two weeks ago when I found that if I select "By Date" I can't click on any of the days this week. I can click on Last week or anytime prior and see links no problem. Only the current week's url's and today's won't show up. When I click them, nothing happens. I don't know how to fix the selective problem or courruption limited to only the days of this week--Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I don't think they show up if I select By Site althought the urls prior to this week do. I don't want to lose them--they'll show up next week. If I delete the index.dat file will that impact them and could it help?

TIA,

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: History Corrupted XP??? (Win XP Pro SP1 IE6SP1)

Have you added any clean up software? You may also find out that, if you several different sessions open each session may show a different history.

I NEVER rely on using the History as a source to return to a site except for the current session, that is what "Favorites" are for.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You make some good points. I try to drag a shortcut into a specific folder for links I like to save only because I find it a little faster to use than favorites or have gotten into that habit. Part of the reason I rely on it is that when I'm looking for the answer to a question I open up a lot of windows and want to go back and spend some more time with some.

I should have thought about "cleanup software" as a prime culprit, but the only one I use, and I know the concensus becaue we had a thread where a lot of experience weighed against it is Regmechanic but I have had it for over a year, running it once in a while and no difference in history until about two weeks ago. I don't use anything else, but I upgraded from Diskeeper 7 to Diskeeper 8 about a month ago but that didn't affect it. It's always possible I'm sure that a Reg "cleaner" may not have any adverse affects 99 times and then trash something the 100th--or that some software totally unrelated to cleaning could have had some interaction.

What will happen to history if I delete index.dat? Is it gone then?

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did you install the IE Update #832894 (On SP1)? There have been problems with it messing with History and stored passwords. It has been pulled from the V4 Update site.

kip

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have SP2 Kip so it won't let me. It has its own updates which must contain some of that material. But that's a good thought and an interesting one in view of the url implications--IE security patch nixes some apps for that update. Since reinstalling IE is suggested by MSKBs on missing elements of history, I'm going to run SFC which would be my own advice if I saw this thread and see what impact if any.

Since there are so many locations for Index.dat in XP and some use 3rd party apps to track them all down, do you know what would be the effect of trying to delete the Index.date files on History? I assume you'd have to get the specific one with History in its file path:

Deleting Index.dat
    What Is Index.dat?

According to this KB, even clearing history does not change the size of the Index.dat file which may become problematic:

322916: The Internet Explorer Index.dat File in the History Folder May Become Very Large

Ed SMBP: Running SFC had no impact; maybe one of the many methods of repair of IE/reinstall of IE would.

SMBP

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Are you sure about that? I just checked and it is available to an XP Pro SP-1 machine via WU. Also, through the MS download center following the MS04-004 security bulletin link. And last through Software Update services.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's available for SP1, yes, but not for the beta SP2. A little bit of conflicting info between SMBP's post and his Title, perhaps an attempt to conform to the NDA??? Anyway with the beta the update is not available (Don't ask me how I know. I'll never tell...Augggghhhhhh)

kip

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Well, if you want to run beta software you've got to be prepared to take you chances with almost any problem.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Kip--I didn't mean to be ambivalent. I was asked/advised not to mention anything about the Beta in the Lounge so I would comply with the NDA--and I have done that. I was also advised not to say SP2 when I named my OS, so I posted the closest thing to it. But if someone is willing to help when you have a problem they sure need to know what you're using. Once a newer version (that probably includes some of these hotfixes or at least later .dlls from them) coming out is installed, it won't let an older SP's updates be installed and of course it could be something as simple as newer .dlls.

I know that in the instances where people get messages that they can't install a hotfix because they already have it, a lot of times the issue there is that they have a newer version of a particular .dll that was modified as in Post 332199 where mshtml.dll was a newer version than the update offerred.]/url]

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You sure do, but this particular problem came up two months later so although software can do anything, history indicates it's not OS SP dependent. I think some selected files have gotten corrupted, but the problem is Joe, as R2 and others have shown so well on many threads, when it comes to history and index.dat files, you're talking about a kind of complicated wide ranged distribution of files that are hard to corral and correct. Maybe SFC missed them, It's known to be less than perfect.

The frustrating thing about this is that it is not a pure failure to display history by date, it is a failure to explain this week's days until they become last week's days--a denial of access, and the reason I want it is because it involved a business series of forms I wanted to complete available on the web that were lost when IE crashed, and can't be replaced but could be finished if I could access it by this week's history.

SMBP